Back to news

League News

Division Four League Cup Final

  • 28/03/19
Football image

Dunmow United net six to win their first trophy

Dunmow United claimed their first silverware as members of the Mid Essex Football League by easily defeating Writtle F.C. A in the Division Four League Cup Final. However whilst the end result may not have been different, if they had converted a chance within the first few minutes it might have led to a closer game.
In the opening minutes a break down the left saw the ball squared across the Dunmow United goal only for Ryan Mold to blast over at the far post.

From that point Dunmow United took charge and Terrence De Souza terrorised the Writtle defence.

In the 8th minute a corner from the right was met by James Arnott whose header found the back of the net.

Writtle briefly rallied and Mold again went close only to see his shot well saved by Hilson in the Dunmow goal.

21 minutes and Dunmow extended their advantage. A free kick by skipper Hamill caused some confusion and keeper Cumpstey misjudged the flight and only managed to divert the ball into his own net.

6 minutes later and the contest was effectively over as Dunmow added a third. A long ball found its way to De Souza, who rounded the keeper but despite a narrow angle was able to come back in field and find the back of the net.
Dunmow almost added a fourth just before half time when De Souza went close again

Half Time Writtle F.C. 0 Dunmow United F.C. 3

Writtle came out buoyed for the second half and tried to put some pressure on the Dunmow goal. However they could not create any real opportunities.

On 63 minutes Dunmow extended their lead when De Souza broke clear and managed to pull the ball back for Rob Ramsden to net.

4 minutes later and a fifth was added when De Souza netted, his second, and it was his break down the middle on 79 minutes which saw Dunmow net a sixth, as he went clear and allowed substitute Jake Barnard to score

Full Time Writtle F.C. A 0 Dunmow United F.C. 6