Back to news

League News

Division Two League Cup Final

  • 12/04/19
Football image

Harold Hill complete victory to lift trophy

A crowd of 143 witnessed a compelling Division Two League Cup final at Witham Town F.C.

Harold Hill dominated the early stages and created a number of chances in the first 10 minutes. This early pressure led to Harold Hill taking the lead. A corner from the left was met by James Hughes who header found its way into the back of the net.

Notley were hanging on as Harold Hill continue to dominate and a series of desperate blocks and the woodwork stopped Harold Hill increasing their advantage. Archie Edwards was denied, and from the resultant corner Pat Robbinson struck the woodwork, Jamie Howe’s follow up was then cleared off the line. It took 17 minutes before Notley had their first sight of the Harold Hill goal, but Matt Smith’s free kick was easily saved by Luke Roust. Harold Hill however continued to threaten the Notley gaol, another corner caused mayhem in the Notley penalty area, and James Hughes saw his header cleared off the line. Siddy Clarkson then saw some further desperate defending as his effort on goal was blocked.

Notley against the run of play then created a great opportunity to equlaise but Matt Simpson blazed over. With the half drawing to a close Harold Hill broke clear but Jack Suters blazed over.

Half Time Notley F.C. 0 Harold Hill F.C. 1

Within minutes of the re-start Harold Hill doubled their advantage. Substitute George Shelvey coolly slotted home. He then struck wide minutes later, and somehow hit the post with his next effort when it seemed that Harold Hill would add their third and put the game out of reach. However on 56 minutes the ball found its way through to Callum Foster and his cross shot found its way into the far corner to see Notley F.C. halve the deficit.

Whlst Harold Hill continued to create chances. Notley were starting to exert more pressure. The ball broke forward and the Harold Hill keeper rushed out of his goal to impede the Notley F.C. forward on the edge of the box. VAR showed that the two covering defenders saved the keeper from what could have been a red card offence. Both Matt Smith and Charile Groves dragged wide for Notley as they searched for an eqauliser.

Another ball over the top was mis read by the Harold Hill keeper and the ball bounced over him the covering defender just managed to bloke the Notley effort from going into an empty net.

Harold Hill managed to hang on to secure victory

Full Time Notley F.C. 1 Harold Hill F.C. 2