Back to news

League News

Goring win the Over 50?s Challenge Cup F

  • 23/05/14
  • By Martin Woodley
Football image

A very close game between Witney and Goring in the 1st ever Over 50’s Challenge Cup Final.

On Thursday 22nd May 2014 Abingdon Town hosted the first Over 50’s Challenge Cup Final between Witney Royals and Goring Old Boys. Teams were as follows

Goring Old Boys
Tony Y
Martin Neagus
Terry P
Kev B
Richard S
John S
Steve H
Ian B
John H
John G

Nick S
Julian P
Nick C
Alan E
Ian N Martin H

(Sorry club did not provide sir names on team sheet)

Witney Royals
Dave Warner
Paul Creedy
Drew Warren
Steve Doulton
Duncan Sellman
Sean O’Sullivan
Tony Price
Martin Keylock
Andy Slater
Mark O’Hara
Ian Hayes

Tim Baston
Gary Williams
Gordon Kane
Richard Chiumento
Brian Monnery

Witney kicked off and the first 10 minutes saw the teams locked in a midfield battle. Goring had the first shot which sailed harmlessly over the Witney crossbar. In the 11th minute Witney got down the left flank and played a perfect ball across the goal which went to a Witney player who mistimed his touch allowing the ball to pass him when he had the open goal at his mercy. This was a glorious chance missed.
Within a minute Goring went down their left flank and got a put a perfect cross over inviting the forward to attack the ball which he did, however the ball cannoned off the cross bar and then out of play

After 17 minutes an early injury to Royals right back saw Richard Chiumento take his place. With the game finely balanced on 20 minutes Witney striker Ian Haynes finally got past the back four and was clean through on goal, however he was upended from behind and the referee had no option but to issue a yellow card which meant a ten minute sin bin for Steve, reducing Goring to 10 men. Witney took a quick free kick and wasted a glorious opportunity .

Right on the 30 minute mark a simple back pass was made by Goring who saw the Goring keeper kick the ball under no pressure which went straight to Witney’s Sean O’Sullivan, Sean lined up the shot from a long way out and placed it perfectly inside the right hand upright putting Witney 1-0 up.

Witney never looked in difficultly at the back however in the last minute the Goring chased down a loose ball and hit a great shot that again hit the cross bar and sailed out for a goal kick. This was to be the last action as the referee blew the whistle and Witney went in 1-0 up.

Goring kicked off the second period and started to attack straight from the kick off. It was not long before Goring equalised on 51 minutes a great corner was headed home by John Simmon making it 1-1. This seemed to wake up Witney who then started to come back into the game and had a shooting opportunity when they got down the right channel before crossing for the Witney player to shoot high and wide from the edge of the box.

On 61 minutes Goring again got down the left flank and crossed a perfect ball straight onto the head of a Goring player and from 5 yards out he headed down with the ball hitting his legs and Witney cleared the loose ball. The game was going from end to end when in the 67th minute there was a hard tackle in the Witney half. The same Goring player received his second yellow card and was sent off reducing Goring to see out the remainder of the game with 10 men. This did not seem to alter the balance and Goring still looked strong in defence and on the break, Witney were unable to take advantage of having the extra player.

It looked like the first final was going to go to penalties when on 72 minutes when Goring won a corner. The corner was played into the box but was cleared by Witney, the ball fell kindly to Martin Neagus who managed to get his shot away on the half volley from just outside the box, this proved to be the match winner as the ball went into the top left of the Witney goal putting Goring in front for the first time.

Ten men Goring continued to play out the game and saw them lift the trophy. Both teams played the game in which the league was set up and Witney played a fantastic part in a very tight entertaining game which was a credit to over 50’s football.

Goring also won the league so Well done on your double.