Back to news

League News

Covid Update

  • 01/12/20
  • By Kevin French
Football image

An interim communication from the league regarding the latest announcement by the government.

Dear Club Secretaries,

This is an 'interim' communication on behalf of the Bristol Girls League.

Whilst the Government Guidelines allow for the return of grassroots football post 2nd December, County FA's are currently in dialogue with the FA regarding the potential Covid risks/implications of teams/spectators travelling between tiers (i.e.
Tiers 2 & 3) where local regional tiers apply, such as in the Bristol area.

As a league, we only have two or three teams who are currently in Tier 2 with the vast majority of teams in Tier 3. An official FA response is expected on Wednesday (2nd December) and I will be in touch again then to confirm the situation and the league's position.

However, we are conscious that there are a number of scheduled fixtures planned for this Sunday 6th December and subsequently on 13th and 20th December.

Until we have a clearer picture on Wednesday, and on the basis that teams must not travel between tiers, games are:

* Permitted to go ahead on 6th and 13th December provided that all Covid best practice guidelines and club risk assessments are followed.

* Those teams with fixtures scheduled for Sunday 20th December have the option to play or postpone their games if one team wishes to. If you do decide to postpone the game, then please confirm the rescheduled date of the match when advising of the postponement. This is based on the dates close proximity to Xmas and the potential to affect people's Xmas 'bubble' should they have to self isolate.

I will be in touch again on Wednesday once we have further guidance from the GFA/FA.

Kind regards,
Kevin French