Back to news

League News

SRWFL Cup Finals

  • 22/05/12
Football image

The Results!!

SRWFL held the big Cup Final day on Sunday 20 May at The EBB Stadium, home of Aldershot Town FC and it produced 3 cracking games of football!

Now I spent a lot of time in the kitchen/by the gate/with the ball girls/making tea etc and being away from the pitch so if the details are hazy you'll have to forgive me!! Women's Soccer Scene have written a report for the League and Chairman's Cup which you can read on line at their website:

A couple of players were also interviewed after those 2 matches and they will be on the Football TV links on that website shortly.

BUT..................First up was the Jubilee Cup at 11am, where Oxford Utd Reserves ran out 6-2 victors over Newbury Ladies in a very open and expansive game. Newbury opened the scoring, but were pegged back by an equaliser straight from the kick off, and Oxford followed up with a second goal quickly after to leave Newbury chasing. Despite the better of the pressure coming from Newbury, Oxford extended their lead to 3-1, but then Newbury skipper Leanne Creese scored the goal of the game (and probably the whole day) with a spectacular effort. Oxford's keeper cleared a ball upfield but Creese chested the ball down and sent it straight back over the keeper's head from about 35 yards out.

Sadly, it wasn't enough to keep Newbury in the hunt, and Oxford replied again within a few minutes to make it 4-2, and then added two late goals as Newbury tried to get back into the game and left some space around the back.

The second final was the League Cup at 2.30pm and was a very different affair! A cagey first 30 minutes with both teams sussing each other out exploded into life mid-way through and went to extra time and pens, with bars hit in open play (twice), 2 corking free kicks, and then 2 more bars hit in penalties. The final result was 3-1 to Oxford on pens, after a 2-2 FT and AET scoreline, but Shanklin gave them a run for their money for the full 120 minutes and will feel unlucky to not have won the trophy. See the full report at Women's SoccerScene.

Last but by no means least was Bracknell vs Aldershot in the Chairman's Cup which was delayed by hour due to the overrunning League Cup match. Starting at 7 and being played first in natural light, and then in the 2nd half under floodlight, it was another close contest. Yet again, the opening goal was cancelled out immediately from the kick off with Aldershot scoring on 22mins, and then an own goal given Bracknell the equaliser on 23mins. Aldershot then got the winner at the death to break Robins hearts and prevent them getting their hands on the Chairman's Cup for a fourth time in their history.

Special mentions to all the finalists who represented themselves brilliantly and hopefully had a great day. Congratulations to all our winners. Thanks to Aldershot Town FC who made the day run smoothly and made sure that each team had a memorable day even if they didn't get the result - hopefully all the teams will agree it was a great venue and although it is a big ole pitch it was great to have such a good quality ground to host our Finals.

Thank you to the team of 12 officials appointed by Mike Castle who did an excellent job, and in particular, it was fantastic to see a team of four female officials for the League Cup Final, with Lucy May taking the middle. Lucy was one of the Assistants in the 2011 FA Women's Cup Final and regularly officiates in the FA WSL so it was great to have a referee of her calibre at our Cup Finals day.

Thanks finally to our team of 20 young footballers who were ball girls (and boys) for the day and made a big difference to the running of the matches.

The day was a credit to Women's football and to Southern Region WFL so well done to all involved.