Back to news

League News

Weekend Review No. 3 (3rd October 20)

  • 05/10/20
  • By Rory Petre
Football image

It did not take too long before the weather turned as South Yorkshire was hit by stormy and wet weather, however, fortunately most games were able to go ahead this weekend.

Premier Division

There was again a handful of midweek games in the division starting at the Memorial Ground as Penistone Church Reserves played host to Ecclesfield Red Rose. It was a tightly contested one that was narrowly won by the home side 1-0 thanks to Ross Levesley’s goal. There was another midweek game at the Eco-Power Stadium as Stocksbridge Park Steels Reserves this time were playing unbeaten North Gawber Colliery. The game did not disappoint, and the home side ended Gawber’s perfect record winning 2-1 thanks to a double from Brandon Whitfield. North Gawber also saw Louis Butcher sent off late in the game.

Onto the weekends games and we start our round-up at St. Georges Park, Thorncliffe as High Green Villa hosted Houghton Main as we were treated to a 10-goal classic. The result was 7-3 to the visitors with Billy Goose netting a hat-trick and Harry Steeple getting himself two as well. This being only Houghton’s second game the win moves them into mid-table safety. There was a much better day at the Millennium Stadium for Wakefield AFC as they were able to turn in a much improved performance to win 4-0 against Oughtibridge W.M.S.C. Dan Palmer was at the double for the home side who similarly to Houghton move into mid-table having only played twice. Over at the Mexborough Athletic Ground the hosts Swinton Athletic were wanting to keep up their winning start against Davy’s FC. The home side were able to do so winning 3-0, Enzo Guarini netting a brace. Davy’s still to get off the mark this season.

Ecclesfield Red Rose were on the road at the weekend travelling to Jubilee Sports and their journey was worth it as they were able to secure an excellent 3-1 win. Kenan Mckenzie Grey getting two of those goals for the away side, who record their first win of the season at the fourth time of asking. Hepworth United have had a very decent start to the season and this continued on Saturday as they were able to win a tight game 2-1 against Stocksbridge Park Steels Reserves. Hepworth move into second place having won three of their opening four games. The final game of the weekend was over at Dodworth Miners Welfare’s sports ground as they welcomed the buoyant Sheffield Town. It was a close game but was eventually won by the home side 1-0 thanks to Aarron Brotherton’s goal. Dodworth remain unbeaten in four games and have a narrow lead over Hepworth.

Division One

Four games took place in Division One over the weekend and we were treated to two 5 goal thrillers. The first came at Sheerian Park were Athersley Recreation Reserves hosted South Elmsall United Services. An even game eventually went the way of the away side thanks to goals from Lucas Stubbs, Mark Lynch and Cory Woodward. South Elmsall now off the mark for the season with that crucial win. The other five goal thriller was at Wombwell Main CC as the Development side welcomed unbeaten Handsworth FC Reserves. Again, it was the away side who claimed the three points in a highly competitive game and the win keeps Handsworth’s perfect start to the season on track and sees them sitting pretty in first place.

Elsewhere in the division there was a hard-fought 2-0 win for Kiveton Park FC on the road against Kinsley Boys. Sean Ebbs and Rob Gorman secured the three points which sees Kiveton move into second place. The fourth and final game of the weekend was a close game involving Denaby Main JFC and AFC Dronfield. The game finished 1-1 and means Dronfield have one win, one draw, and one loss so far this season. Denaby sit third and are yet to be beaten.

Division Two

It was a good weekend for both Houghton Main sides as the Development squad won an entertaining game at home to Stocksbridge Park Steels Development 5-3. Joel Hickling scored twice for the home side and Dillon Gregory also scored twice for the away side. It was also the home sides first win of the season, so they move up to sixth. It was also a good weekend for both Swinton Athletic sides as the Reserves won handsomely on the road against Bank End AFC 6-2. Fraser Hartley (x2) was one of five different scorers for the away side as Swinton stay perfect.

There was a five-goal thriller at Wales High School as Kiveton Park Reserves were narrowly outdone by Wakefield EFP 3-2. Bruno Bagi was the hero of the day for Wakefield scoring twice meaning the side are unbeaten in two games so far this season. Two of the top three sides met at Silkstone Recreation Ground as Silkstone United faced off against Caribbean Sports. A high scoring game was won by the away side thanks to four different goalscorers and keeps them level with Swinton on 9 points. Silkstone slip down to fourth.

Two sides who were yet to get off the mark clashed at Goosecarr Lane Recreational Ground with Thurcroft FC playing Sheffield Lane Top FC. It was the away side that were able to get their season off and running with a 2-1 win the goals coming from Robert Richardson and Adam Zielosko. Down to Grange Park Football Ground for the last game of the weekend which resulted in a 1-0 win for Millmoor Juniors against Parkgate Reserves meaning Millmoor have won two of their opening three games since re-joining the league.