Back to news

League News

Husaria's charge too late

  • 30/11/16
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 20th November, By Tony Spencer.

While new club Husaria have struggled in the league so far, even with an unbeaten home record, they had exceeded all expectations in cup competitions, until the North Hants Senior Cup tie last Sunday. However, Winchester club Mucky Duck were 0-6 up and cruising by half-time, but had a fright when Husaria clawed back three goals by Marcin Momot, Szymon Skrzypek, and Mateusz Kubacki to 3-6 with a 7th goal only conceded in the very last minute. Final result 3-7 to Mucky Duck, but Husaria must take heart from their second half performance.

UWS put in a solid performance in their North Hants Chris Price Cup tie against visitors Monks. Nathan Glasgow scored the only first half goal for a slender half-time lead. Glasgow doubled the margin from a free kick, before Dan Dackel and James Tarrant rounded off a 4-0 win over Monks, extending their home unbeaten record to five games.

The tie between Chineham and King Alfred was called off on Friday and rescheduled for next month.

Team FC took a bare 11 players to Andover Royals in the North Hants John Ward Cup, but were a goal up after 10mins when a cross from the right was netted by Luke Chatee, who went on to score a hat-trick. Constant pressure by Team brought its rewards, with even keeper McKenzie filling his boots from the penalty spot to make it 0-5 and keep his first clean sheet of the season. Mikey Thomas scored a brace, even though he only came on for the last ten minutes. Dan Cole and a solo effort from Luke Richardson completed a 0-8 result.

Soldiers Return Reserves also racked up an eight-nil score line away from home, their fourth consecutive away victory, this time at FC Anton, with Reece Chapman, Reece Medford, Chapman again, George Collins and Austin Kelly netting before the break, and Callum Silcox after the break, along with Kelly and Collins completing their braces.

Chineham Athletic lost their third home game on the trot, comprehensively outgunned in a 0-4 cup exit at the hands of Chineham Reserves, where Tyler Andrews notched up a brace and Lee Sappleton and David Williamson a goal apiece. Chineham Reserves are unbeaten in five games.

Camrose Social were held to a 1-1 draw in normal time away at Kings Worthy, with Matthew Foreman scoring, but lost the penalty shoot-out 5-4, despite Jon Glennister, Matthew Foreman, Chris Waller and Ben Hobday successful from the spot.

Oakley Club de Futbol Albion dominated their Andover Presidents Cup tie, leaving Pharmasol Appleshaw Sports with a 7-1 headache. Dan Bloma set the ball rolling 1-0, Laith Aldoori and Bloma again made it 3-0 by half-time. Early in the second half, Bloma completed his hat-trick. Then Samie Aldoori and Myles Englefield, from 30 yards out, put them six goals up. However, it turned into 6-1 through a lapse of concentration at the back, before Matthew Bonner reasserted Oakley's pomp.

In Division 1, Tron were a goal up in six minutes against Republic of Chineham, after David Parry's free kick was netted by George Paphiti. Two more quick goals by James Tennant took the game to 3-0. Republic reduced the arrears to 3-1, but Tennant chalked up a first-half hat-trick for 4-1. Republic came back from a corner 4-2 before half-time and reduced the deficit to 4-3, after the break. Michael Morey made it 5-3, Tennant scored again for 6-3.

Ross Cook came on for the last ten minutes, scoring twice, from a solo run and free kick. He first played for Tron, Saturdays and Sundays since he was 16, six or seven seasons ago, but this was his swan song for the club. He has now signed professional forms for Bristol Rovers. So good luck, Ross Cook! Wayne Finn with two, Ashley Elward and Rick Combagi scored for Republic, final score 8-4. Tron still hold a 100% record this season, while Republic have not picked up a point away from home.

Basingstoke Saints were 0-2 down to visitors AFC Soldiers in Division 2, with 12 minutes to go, after an even first half, and conceding goals to Harry Tuffs, from 20 yards into far corner, and Charlie Manning firing a good header beyond Matt Wells in Saints' goal. So the last 12 minutes saw a fight back to get a point from the game. Firstly, Matt Cuthbertson kept the ball in play on the left wing and picked out Josh Jarrett to poke home. Then, with four minutes left, Cuthbertson's corner saw Louis Woodman' bullet header from the penalty spot to make it 2-2 for a very well deserved point. Only James Brown's late shot being well saved prevented Saints grabbing all the points.

Hampshire Irons lead their game against Eastrop Eagles after 10 minutes, following good work by Robert Mead to set up James McIntosh from outside the area. After a neat one-two, between Liam Hinchliffe and Mike Pemberton, made it 2-0, but pegged back to 2-1 by the break. Irons made it 3-1 after Pemberton finished off a James McIntosh pass. Eagles retaliated 3-2, and the result threatened by Jack Miller's handball gave away a penalty, but keeper Jack Rickard saved 5 minutes from the whistle. Elliott Forsey and John Richardson scored for Eagles but couldn't avoid Iron's league double.
In Division 3 North Warnborough Reserves beat DG Athletic 6-1, but only after going 0-1 down early doors to Callum Rump. Ten minutes later Tom Davies scored for 1-1, Tom Lucas took a masterly free kick converted by Lawrence Wright. A Nial Day corner was netted by Peter Keens, another corner which Jason Williams tapped in for 4-1. A penalty for DG was saved by Michael Sewell before the break. Ryan Thorpe scored as substitute to increase to 5-1, before Tom Lucas scored goal of the game to finish it off, now Borough have gone six games unbeaten.

In a close end-to-end match, RAF Odiham Blades suffered their first league defeat, 2-3 to Overton United, their third successive win, after a stuttering start of five games without a win now consigned to history. Tim Hayward and Matt Hyndman scored for Blades, Jack Rawlings, brace and Lukas Skinner for Overton.