Back to news

League News

Bramley on a cruise

  • 13/11/17
  • By Wayne Chivers
Football image

Unfortunately there was no report for Sunday's, as Tony who does the reports is ill. I asked clubs to mail me and I have done a report on them.

Bramley cruised through to the next round following a comfortable 6-1 home win against O’Neils from Winchester. Bramley were three up at the break courtesy of strikes from Ben Squibb, Adam Bartlett and the pick being a low drive from outside the box from Neil Armstrong. In the second half Bramley kept the pressure on and two further headed goals were added by Squibb and James Wakes thanks to good crosses from Tom Walsh and Gordon Birch. O’Neils scored a consolation before Bartlett added his second, picking himself up to slam home a late penalty.
Team FC travelled to Gosport in the Hampshire cup. Team on a good run of results found them self’s 2-0 down with 2 minutes twice getting hit on the counter attack. After a very lacklustre 45 minute they went in 2-0 down and into a dressing down by the manager. The team talk seemed to have done them well after Captain Brendan Vickery pulled one back straight after the restart slotting under the oncoming keeper to make it 2-1. Middlecroft replies with a goal 5 minutes later again springing the offside trap. Team came out battling with Adam Aimable volleying at the keeper for the ball to arrive back at his feet to then smash it into the Stanton to make it 3-2. Team on the front foot continued to press and Brendan Vickery MOM out ran 2 defenders to square it and put it on the plate for Mitch Taylor to slot Home and empty net from 6 yards. Mistakes cost team as a minute later Middlecroft’s striker found himself unmarked from 4 yards to finish the tie off.
Jay Stephens had a chance to pull one back but put it past the post in the dying minutes.
Soldiers Return got back to winning ways after two successive defeats in their previous two league games. Soldiers created many scoring opportunities in the first half against a determined Eastrop Eagles side but only managed to take two, the first resulted from a through ball from Fred Cloke which Matt Kelly ran onto and slotted neatly past the keeper, the second followed soon after when Fred Cloke picked up a loose ball and fired into the net for 2-0 at half time. The second half continued in the same vein as the first, Eastrop battling hard and Soldiers spurning chances to put the game to bed. With ten minutes to go however a free kick taken from Warren Hill was hit deep to the back post where Fred Cloke headed the ball back across goal only for an Eastrop defender to turn into his own net. Final score 3-0 to Soldiers!
Both North Warnborough sides played in Hampshire Cup games. The first team at home to local side Chineham found themselves a great deal stronger than previous weeks in the John Ward Senior Cup. An early goal from a Simon Edmonson free kick increased the spirits and Sean Delfose converted a penalty to see NW 2-0 at half time. Both teams had chances in the second half but only resulted in Chineham getting one back and the result 2 - 1.
The reserves had an away fixture against Mottisfont who had knocked them out last season. On a less than perfect pitch with a weakened squad North Warnborough found themselves benefiting from an excellent Tom Davies effort plus Henry Ransley scoring from his rare position of playing number 10, 2 - 0 at half time. With some reorganizing and some tired legs for North Warnborough, Mottisfont got the 2 goals back and pushed the game to a penalty decider. In form goalkeeper Ryan Thorpe was credited with keeping the team in front during the game but was unable to stop some very well taken penalties from Mottisfont, 4 - 1 the final tally. Back to league action this weekend for the first team whilst the reserves continue with Cup action quarter final of the league Bernard Cornish Cup away to Team FC at Brighton Hill.
Oakley started slowly and were kept in the game following a string of one on one saves from inform keeper Paddy Obrien. Oakley continued to be wasteful in possession struggling to create any real chances and this lack of possession lead to more Rising Sun chances until they finally went 1-0 up. Oakley went into the break struggling to get into the game. Following half time and a change of formation Oakley came out a new team. Within 10 minutes of the half Englefield provided Bonner with a knockdown to draw the score level. 5 minutes after drawing level Bonner was on the scoresheet again following an assist from CB Laith Aldoori. A further 5 minutes later Oakley went 3-1 up with Bonner providing a pass to Myles Englefield who bent the ball brilliantly with his weaker foot into the top corner from the edge of the box. Following the flurry of goals Oakley had several chances to wrap the game up thanks to great work from Alex Catt on the wing. 10 minutes from time Rising Sun grabbed a second and Oakley were forced to hold on.