Back to news

League News

Title glory race hotting up.

  • 10/04/19
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 7th April, By Tony Spencer.

Division 1 leaders Bramley United started brightly against third place Team FC and took an early lead through Colin Bell's right footed curling shot into the top corner on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. Nick Harris doubled Bramley's lead with a thunderous strike from a free kick 20 yards out. Bramley added a third before half-time through Cameron George following long periods of sustained pressure. In the second half, Team continued to try and find a way back into the game and it took some disciplined defending to keep them at bay. However, at the other end, a fourth goal was added by Colin Bell as he poked home his second after good work down the right by Darren Clift. Cameron George coolly slotted home his second and Bramley's fifth, while Team were rewarded for their efforts with a late consolation goal 5-1. This was Bramley's league double against Team and now unbeaten in four games, this result virtually reduces the championship to a two-horse race.

Talk of the devil, Republic of Chineham kept their championship ambitions alive with a 1-7 league double victory at Hampshire Irons.

Kieran Allyne scored a brace as Chineham were held to a 2-2 by Tadley Tigers

Soldiers Return beat Eastrop Eagles 3-0 in a league double, which extends their run to three wins in a row, thanks to strikes from Fred Cloke, Jamie Galpin and Daniel Southgate.

Division 2 leaders Camrose Social were simply imperious in their 10-0 victory over Overton United, with prolific Matt Foreman rapping in four goals, Chris Waller a hat-trick, Gareth Slade, Ryan Lupton and Mikey Davies singles. Another league double and Camrose's run up to three wins on the trot.

Basingstoke Saints extracted maximum points from a game where they never quite got into top gear. Shallow End proved a dogged side at 0-0 and could have opened the scoring early doors. However, Saints led 2-0 at half-time with Liam James and Simon Greeves converting their chances. Greeves added his second before Liam Spokes came off the bench with 18 minutes to go to net a brace. Finally, Simon Greeves claimed the match ball by netting his late third from a Louis Woodman cross. Even better news than the comfortable 6-0 victory, Neil Woodward returned to the fold following a fractured ankle.

Chineham Cavaliers beat AFC Basing 5-0 in a league double and extended their magnificent run to seven wins in a row.

Kempshott set up a league double with three goals at South Ham Saints with no reply.

In the North Hants John Ward Cup Final AFC Laarsens started nervously, struggling to play their usual game. New Park Rangers started brighter of the two teams, playing out from the keeper, with Callum Greenly dictating most of the play throughout the game, while Laarsens were more direct. However, AFC Laarsens took the 1-0 lead when George Lagden chested down a Myles Englefield header and scored with an overhead kick from close range. Laarsens then started to get a grip on the game with Wilson, Aldoori and Costen coming into the game. Rangers had their chances, notably Nathan Barlow failed a one-on-one with the keeper. Half-time 1-0 to Laarsens. After half time Rangers' wingers Harrison and Blackwell made good runs and were winning corners. Laarsens were pegged back under pressure and only some great defending by Mackinnon, Tucker, Wheeler and Laith Aldoori, along with a string of saves from O’Brien in goal, maintained their fragile lead. On 55 minutes Joe Hodge's chip for Rangers was saved, on 60 minutes Hodge hit the inside of post, then Harrison's effort came off the woodwork, before Barlow's smart finish squared the contest 1-1. Hodge almost got the winner in the final minute as Laarsens managed to hold on thanks to O’Brien who was magnificent between the sticks. In the penalty shootout, Bloma, Laith Aldoori and Wilson converted their penalties with Tucker missing while O’Brien made the match winning save to give AFC Laarsens the Cup.,1-1 full-time and 3-2 on penalties.