Back to news

League News

Div Two Champs Top Div One

  • 17/09/18
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 9th September, By Tony Spencer.

Newly promoted Team FC stormed to the top of Division 1 on goal difference with a 5-1 victory over Eastrop Eagles on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. Despite playing the better football throughout, Eagles' only score was an own goal assisted late on by substitute Brent Guiblin.
Bramley United also chalked up a 5-1 home win over Chineham and were already two up, with strikes from Colin Bell and Ben Squibb, before their visitors pulled one back just before the interval. Sean Delfosse made it 3-1 to finally break Chineham's resistance, before Stuart Leddy's solo effort found the top corner for 4-1 and Delfosse completed his brace to secure the points.
Tadley Tigers dominated throughout their 5-0 victory over Hampshire Irons, with Luke Yelland opening the scoring, Tigers going 2-0 up with a Liam Belcher assist before half time. Connor Stewart got the third as rusty Irons seized up, and Danny Tompkins came on as substitute and made it 4-0 with a header. Five minutes later Yelland converted a penalty and before the end Yelland completed his hat-trick in a one on one with the Irons' keeper.
A fantastic free kick going in off the underside of the bar from Ash Peck gave Brookvale United an early lead, which they held until half time, restricting last season's champions to speculative efforts from outside the area. Despite Brookvale having eight players missing for this clash, fine defending from Brookvale’s back four, notably 19-year-old Adie Mosdell, ensured the lead was intact until the hour mark. Legs tired at this point and Republic's four-goal comeback came in a 15-minute spell, with goals from Wayne Finn, a Finlay Hall brace and Ash Elward strike. Solid Brookvale debuts for Nathan Duncombe and Darren Gillbanks tightened up a back four that had shipped eight the previous week and smart saves from Dean Munkley kept the final score down to 4-1. Republic of Chineham are the fourth side starting their campaign with two wins.
North Warnborough were 0-1 on up 40 minutes thanks to a Ryan Thorpe set piece at Soldiers Return after an even first half with few chances. Soldiers dominated the second half but were 0-2 after 55 minutes with Dan Mellors' fantastic strike. Soldiers pulled one back from a corner by Andy Darmody headed in by Freddie Cloke on 75 minutes, and were level four minutes later from a penalty for handball which Cloke scored. Soldiers pressed at the end but the visitors' 2-3 winner came from a Mellors' free kick on 88 minutes.
Basingstoke Saints top Division 2 after an 8-0 win over South Ham Saints, their second clean sheet in a row and best start to the season for years. Liam James fired in two quick goals, with Liam Spokes making it 3-0 at the break. Dominic Forward bagged a brace on his debut, Dan Butler added a penalty, substitute Ellis Wyles scored in only his second match and James completed his hat trick. Russell Brooks played well throughout the game down the left for Basingstoke Saints.
High scorers New Park Rangers won their second in a row 7-1 over AFC Basing. It was a dominant performance, with Harry Knapp's first after 15 minutes, Dylan Bardell's 25-yarder on 25 minutes, and Joe Hodge netting from the lefthand side on 30 minutes. Basing reduced the deficit to 3-1 with the last kick of half. Simon Harrison made it 4-1 after good work by Hodge, Bardell added another on the hour, Callum Greenly the sixth on 70 minutes, before Knapp topped up his brace five minutes from the end.
Camrose Social beat Shallow End 2-1 with goals from Ryan Lapton and George Martin.
Overton United visited Chineham Cavaliers and started the game on the front foot, having three shots cleared off the line in the first 20 minutes, but it was Cavaliers who took a 1-0 lead after a counter attack by Sachin Rai on 25 minutes. Overton pressed and won a penalty on 40 minutes and Richie Budd slotted home. Overton got the winner on 55 minutes with Nuno Franco's ball over the top and Scott Winterbourne beat his marker to loop the ball over the keeper, 1-2. Overton's keeper Szymon Duszynski stopped everything Cavaliers threw at him, the home side considered themselves very unlucky not to win at least a point after so much possession and creating multiple chances.
Chineham Reserves went down 0-1 after Luke Ambrose scored the only goal of the game around 20 minutes in from an Aaron Chapman assist, handing a comfortable win for Kempshott.