Back to news

League News

Bramley pips Owls in Final

  • 29/03/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 26th March, By Tony Spencer.

The first half of the North Hants Chris Price Cup Final, played on Sunday afternoon at the Winklebury complex, was tight, with few chances by either side. Bramley United's Les Woods came close early on, but Nick Harris was pushed down in the box after 40 minutes and Dean Ridgers put Bramley ahead from the penalty spot. Owlesbury equalised just before half-time to set up a tense second half. It wasn't until 5 minutes from the end that Scott Kinge laid off for Dean Ridgers to secure his brace and the winning goal, 2-1. Bramley United lifting the cup after being runners-up last year.

In Division 1 Tron and Soldiers Return drew 3-3. Tron took an early 2-0 lead and it was almost half-time before Fred Cloke's 25-yard free kick was fumbled by the keeper to go in 2-1 at the interval. Soldiers levelled 2-2 with Liam Doran's shot from 30 yards in the 65th minute, but Tron edged 3-2 ahead 5 minutes later. Stu Cubbage levelled the match for Soldiers with 10 minutes left after Alex Izzo's shot was parried by the keeper.

The bottom of Division 2 clash between Basingstoke Saints and UWS went all UWS's way to start with, the visitors going two up before the break and 0-3 up early in the second half before Saints rallied, with two goals from Louis Woodman and Liam James, but the hosts couldn't find an equaliser. UWS goals came from a Ben Woods penalty, Ryan Lupton and Chris Bayly.

North Warnborough hadn't played for weeks and found it hard going defending the home goal against a determined Chineham side, who were three goals up at the halfway point. Shane West netted the opener after good work by Kieron Alleyne. Shane West then scored his second before Kieron Alleyne netted after a one-on-one with the keeper. Chineham continued to press and scored again with a Jamie Dockree left-foot shot before Kieron Alleyne got the fifth goal after latching onto a through ball and beating keeper at close range.

There were four matches in Division 3. Chineham Athletic beat bottom side DG Athletic 3-0 and strugglers Rising Sun lost 1-3
To Soldiers Return Reserves.

Chineham Reserves scored from the penalty spot to stay level at half-time, but they were beaten 1-5 by North Warnborough Reserves. Chineham were 0-1 down after 10 minutes, as Ryan Thorpe scored the first of his hat-trick. Peter Hodgson netted the fourth and Ryan Thorpe got his fourth goal with a lob-shot, giving North Warnborough Reserves a 1-5 victory.

Team FC trounced Overton United 10-1, despite a scrappy first 25 minutes, and were 3-0 to the good by half-time. They played even better in the second half, with Mark Frost notching up four goals, Mitch Taylor adding a goal in reward for terrorising Overton with his long throws, Lewis Hilton scored two after coming on as substitute after 35 minutes having been out injured for a year, Josh Chaney and Luke Chatee added to the tally, resulting in seven games unbeaten for Team FC.