Back to news

League News

Wildebeest Bested by Tron

  • 01/03/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 26th February, By Tony Spencer.

Tron stunned hosts FC Wildebeest with a Lee Neal thunderbolt from 25 yards out, after just 12 minutes of their Andover Presidents Cup quarter-final tie on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. The match was a scrappy one, played on a muddy pitch, making Tron's usual good football hard to maintain. FC Wildebeest created chances but were unable to convert any of them, with Tron keeper Luke Stickland pulling off any saves necessary and James McCallion and captain George Paphiti defending well. Tron were reduced to ten men but held on, until Harry Cook netted the clincher near the end, Tron winning 0-2.

Chineham played well in the first half of their Bernard Cornish Cup semi-final match, holding a 2-0 advantage over Bramley United at the interval. Bramley, who hadn't dropped a point or lost a game since September, pulled a goal back with a Dean Ridgers penalty, but Chineham scored again to restore their two-goal advantage. Neil Armstrong reduced the deficit for Bramley United on 75 minutes to 3-2, but couldn't make up the difference. This was Chineham's second win over Bramley this season. Chineham's scorers were Shane West and Jamie Dockree with a brace.             
In the other semi-final match, Division 3 side North Warnborough Reserves matched UWS from Division 2 in an even and competitive first 20 minutes, until Stuart Jarvis scored to make it 0-1 to UWS. The match continued in the same spirit, an open game and a cross by Andy Parker to the far post brought forth an equaliser from a Nial Day header 1-1. This remained the score until half-time. A solo effort by Nial Day on 65 minutes, edged Boro ahead, then from a corner Tom Lucas crossed for Henry Ransley to head in to seal a 3-1 victory and a place in the final.

In Division 1 Husaria took an early lead over visitors Oakley after a fine header from Pawel Derbot. Oakley levelled from a Dan Bloma penalty before the break, with no further scoring, a fair result in the end for either side in a match interrupted too often to enjoy.

Republic of Chineham beat Affini Technology 2-0, with goals from Alex Pickering and Johnny Ervin, which was payback for a defeat in the corresponding fixture in September.            

In Division 3 Rising Sun continued their rise in form, winning 0-3 at Chineham Athletic, giving the former strugglers just one defeat in six games and revenge for the reverse against Athletic last time they met.

DG Athletic lost 0-9 at home to Soldiers Return Reserves. Their last meeting was also high-scoring, ending in a 6-6 draw.

Team FC visited RAF Odiham Blades and brought home a 1-7 victory. They stormed into a 0-4 half-time lead, conceding an own goal at 1-6, with Luke Chatee tapping in from close quarters late on in the game. Mark Frost scored twice, one from the penalty spot, Brendan Vickery was Man of the Match, scoring a brace and putting through balls to Josh Thompson to chalk up a brace from  breakaway goals.