Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 29th November

  • 01/12/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Benidorm breeze into next round

FC Benidorm of Stoke played host to Andover side Nether Wallop Reserves in the North Hants John Ward Cup on Sunday. In windy conditions which presented problems for both sides, the game ended in a 4-2 victory for FC Benidorm of Stoke, with Tom Langley and Taylor Watts each netting braces. This was their fifth consecutive win and kept up their 100% home record.

Tron travelled to West Farnborough in the Hampshire Sunday Senior Cup and Nathan Rae gave them an early lead after just five minutes. West Farnborough equalised just before the break and edged ahead with a 2-1 lead on the hour. David Parry equalised from a free kick on 80 minutes, but the hosts grabbed a winner in injury time, taking their chance well, Tron going down 3-2.

Soldiers Return took the lead after only three minutes in their Basingstoke Kelvin Cup tie at home to Basingstoke Royals. It was a close fought tie, holding onto that slim lead throughout in strong winds, which Soldiers consolidated late in second half, 2-0 and go through to the semi-finals. The goals came from Cobi Judd and Fred Cloke. Soldiers have now won their last four home games, while for Royals this was only their first defeat after seven consecutive wins.

Basingstoke Saints had to admit that they were awful from start to finish as they went down 0-9 to Andover Sports. They were missing a few players and the replacements found it hard going against top opposition.

Republic of Chineham conceded their tie rather than travel to Arms Athletic.

In their Bernard Cornish Cup tie, Bramley United hit Team for six without reply, giving the hosts a run of six wins on the trot. Colin Bell, Stuart Leddy and Adam Bartlett netted in the first half, Bell completed his hat-trick and Adam Bartlett his brace in the second half.

North Warnborough Reserves took an early lead against Eastrop Eagles, with Hadley Payne executing a nice finish. Considering the conditions, with the wind holding the ball up, it was a tight game, with lots of pressure coming from Eagles, but the single goal settled the tie in Warnborough's favour. North Warnborough Reserves 1-0 result is their third win on the trot and maintained their 100% home record.

Revolution lost 0-2 against Affini Technology, both goals coming from the feet of Nick Jupp.

UWS beat Camrose Social 4-2 with a Mark Thompson single and fantastic Ryan Lupton hat-trick, while Camrose's goals were put away by Adam Robinson and Chris Waller.

Only the one Division 1 game played, with Wheatsheaf taking an early lead which they held until half-time. However, Oakley turned the match round with Samie Aldoori equalising, and Matt Buckle netting direct from a corner, to edge Oakley ahead. Danny Costen set up Myles Englefield for the third goal, while Jamie Smith scored the fourth from a free kick and, finally, Jack MacKinnon lobbed the Wheatsheaf keeper majestically from just inside his own half, for a 1-5 victory for Oakley. This comeback meant a third win in a row and takes them to second place in the table.

DG Athletic knocked up their first home win of the season, and added their first Division 3 league points to their tally, with a 3-1 win over Chineham Athletic. James Brown scored twice and Paul Ralph once.

In a blustery match hosted by Chineham Reserves, it was Matt Kelly who gave Soldiers Return Reserves a fifth minute lead, with a header from a corner kick. It was 30 minutes before the hosts equalised from a free kick 1-1 and just before the break led 2-1. An early penalty took the game to 3-1, before Chineham netted three more to go out of sight at 6-1 ahead. Callum Silcox pulled one back to 6-2, but Chineham netted again 7-2. Finally, the man who scored the first goal, Matt Kelly, grabbed his second to make the final score 7-3. Chineham Reserves' scorers were David Williamson, Clayton Deakin, Serge Holland with two, Tyler Andrews with a hat-trick, and Kevin Winton.