Back to news

League News

Hat-tricks for Bell and Leddy

  • 17/10/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 15th October, By Tony Spencer.

Bramley United were 5-0 up at half-time in their Basingstoke Kelvin Cup tie against   North Warnborough on Sunday. Colin Bell opened the scoring, Stu Leddy added a brace, Scott Kinge and Tim Barnett netted in the first half. Bell scored two more, Leddy netted his third and Matthew Heslin got off the mark with his first kick as substitute. Boro had started with only 10 players and Sean Delfoss scored their only consolation with a 30-yarder at 7-1.  The final score 9-1.

Soldiers Return travelled to FC Wildebeest and dominated the first half of the tie, taking the lead midway through, thanks to Alan Gibson after a goalmouth scramble. At the start of the second half the hosts were on top and equalized. Matt Kelly settled the game late in Soldiers’ favour after a through ball and narrow-angle shot.

Republic of Chineham went through on a walkover after March Hare scratched.

Only one match in the North Hants Chris Price Cup, when North Warnborough Reserves played a fiery and competitive home tie against FC Twente Two, falling behind 0-1 after only 5 minutes. On 40 minutes Andy Parker was brought down in the box, and Parker scored from the spot. Ryan Thorpe played well but no more goals. Penalties were taken in the same fashion as lawn tennis tie-breaks, and FC Twente Two missed their first penalty, so the hosts led 2-0; at 3-3 the visitors missed again and Parker buried the last to win 4-3 on penalties.

In Division 1, strong visitors Chineham started well, having several chances to go ahead but the Oakley defence and goalkeeper were equal to their efforts. After 20 minutes Oakley piled on sustained pressure, missing several chances, but 5 minutes before the break were rewarded when George Farrelly headed in from close range, following a Dan Bloma effort. Oakley again started the half slowly with Chineham drawing level through Ben Saunders following an individual error at the back. Oakley replied quickly with Cian Condon finishing a Jamie Ebsworth pass. Oakley went further ahead when a pair of Myles Englefied corners were headed in by Samie Aldoori and Bloma. The game ended 5-1 near the end when Bloma pressured the keeper and squared for Englefield to net. 

Chineham Reserves also lost their Division 2 match by a four-goal margin, 0-4 to Camrose Social, goal by Craig Atkinson, Chris Waller and Matthew Foreman brace.

Ed Quick put hosts Kempshott ahead after a scrappy goalmouth mix up. In the second half, Josh Bromley equalized from the spot for UWS, and in the last 5 minutes won it 1-2 with an own goal, after good pressure by Ryan Upton.

Basingstoke Saints started brightly with a bare 11 players at Overton United and took the lead after  30 minutes when Ian Picket headed onto Liam James to set up an Adam Butler finish. On the cusp of half-time, Kieron Fuller leveled 1-1. Ten minutes into the second half, injury reduced Saints to 10 men before Ash Shearing put Overton ahead with a header, then substitute Charlie Palmer made it 3-1 at the death.

Team FC won a scrappy match at Shallow End 1-4, despite missing six regular team players. Team FC's opener came from a Mark Frost cross to find man-of-the-match Ashley Williams 6 yards out. Shallow End threatened from a fine effort, but the visiting keeper made a fine save. Team’s next was almost identical but Connor McKenzie finding Williams this time. Team’s center back Stuart Urquhart smashed home a loose ball which fell to him in the box 10 yards out. Williams sprinted down the right flank to hammer his 20-yard effort in off the upright. Shallow End grabbed a consolation after a one-on-one with the keeper. Jamie Bugden made it 1-4 from 3 yards after a corner.