Back to news

League News

B/stoke sides falter in the Kelvin Cup

  • 15/11/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 12th November, By Tony Spencer.

Chineham scored four goals against Nether Wallop on Sunday in the Basingstoke Kelvin Cup, writes Tony Spencer. However, the visitors knocked in six to win 4-6 in what proved to be an unrewarding round for Basingstoke clubs. Chineham’s scorers were Kieran Allyne, Jamie Dockree with two, and James Hanley.
At least we were guaranteed one place in the next round when Oakley took on Eastrop Eagles. The visitors struck first with a short corner taken by Kirk Smith to Lee Bush who tee’d up Adam Gough’s header, then 1-1 before just 2 minutes from time, when Lee Bush set up Smith to beat the keeper, 1-2 to Eastrop Eagles.
In an all-guest teams tie, SParTEN were hammered 2-9 by Arms SMB.
Pharmasol Ayrtons and Hampshire Irons drew 2-2 but Irons prevailed 3-4 on penalties.
Republic of Chineham lost narrowly 2-3 at home to Andover RBL, with Wayne Finn scoring once and an own goal.
Soldiers Return travelled to play Welcome Stranger, and took the lead on 25 minutes when a shot by Ellis Hauman rebounded off the keeper back to Hauman. He took the ball around a defender to score 0-1. Soldiers conceded a penalty 10 mins later 1-1, which remained the score until half-time. On 55 minutes Soldiers conceded again from a corner 2-1 and, although they tried hard to get back into the game, have lost further interest in the competition.
Chineham Athletic beat Chineham Reserves 2-1 in the Bernard Cornish Cup. Scott Berry scored Chineham Reserves’ consolation. They meet again next week in the league, giving the Reserves a chance of revenge.
Basingstoke Saints Ended a run of three away defeats with a cup victory at Shallow End, 2-6. The Saints got into their stride early, with Liam James netting after just 40 seconds 0-1. He went on to score 4 goals. Skipper Adam Butler made it 0-2 on 30 minutes with a strike that gave the keeper no chance. In the second half James completed his hat-trick 0-4, before Shallow End made it 1-4, but James and Butler each scored once more.
Team FC took the lead against North Warnborough Reserves after 30 minutes, before Nial Day equalized before half-time. Early in the second half Team went to 2-1 with a breakaway goal, and tired Boro conceded twice more to drop out of the competition.
UWS were beaten 2-3 by Overton United, with goals by Ritchie Budd, with a brace, and Warren Clark.
There were two league games, in Division 1 Bramley United entertained bottom side North Warnborough in an extremely good game, which turned into a hard battle over who won the points. After a goalless first half, Tom Walsh netted for the hosts from 40 yards for 1-0. Sean Delfoss scored to equalise 1-1. Hosts’ substitute Nick Harris took a corner in the last five minutes, which Tim Barnett put away 2-1 and it looked like game over. But Chris Roderick tapped in for 2-2 and with a minute left Simon Edmondson put a through ball for Delfoss to score his second, giving North Warnborough their first points of the season and lifting them off the bottom.
In Division 2 Camrose Social lost 2-4 to Kempshott. Aaron Burt and Matthew Foreman scored in the second half for the hosts after Kempshott took a 0-3 half-time lead through Jamie Hope 2 (1 penalty) and Tom Mitchell, When the score narrowed to 2-3, up popped Chris Bode to make the game safe for the visitors.