Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 19th April

  • 21/04/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Dayers defy the dreaded drop

Dayers Fine Foods have been bouncing along the bottom of the Division 1 table for most of the season and took on fellow strugglers Basingstoke Saints in both clubs’ last game of the season on Sunday. This basement battle saw Gareth Richards open Dayers’ account from a corner. Christian Cox doubled the score from the penalty spot to take the home side into half-time two goals ahead. Then Ben Whitton got his first ever goal for the Saints to get his side back into the game at 2-1. Saints had enough chances to level and earn something from the game but failed to take them. Dayers’ Nick Saunders, arguably the smallest man on the pitch, secured the win with a header, for a final score of 3-1.With other results in Dayers’ favour, they found themselves up two places and out of the relegation zone. A special mention for Rike Pike, a phenomenal scoring legend for Saints over the past decade, who is having to give up the game through injury.

Oakley beat Kaiser Wessex 5-1, to complete a League double.

Soldiers Return were on top in the first half against Tron, without managing to score. Tron were in the ascendancy for the rest of the game but Soldiers remained resolute in defence, which resulted in a goalless draw.

After a promising start to the season, registering three wins in the first eight games, South View's form has fallen away ever since. In the final game of the season they were beaten 1-2 at home by Lamb Inn, which dropped them down to finish at the foot of the table.

New Inn beat Chineham 5-2 and achieved a Division 2 League double. Jack Talbot and Steven Bean scored one each, Matt Osbourne put away a brace, plus an own goal in New Inn's favour. Kieron Alleyne scored both Chineham’s consolation strikes.

Honours were considered even between UWS and Hampshire Irons, a win, draw and loss for each side in their meetings this season. The result this week was UWS 3-2 Hampshire Irons.

The Division 3 fixture programme was completed on Sunday. AFC Golden Lion finished at the foot of the table on goal difference, following a 0-5 defeat at the hands of Chineham Athletic, who secured third place for themselves, thanks to four away wins in the last five matches of the season. Ben Owen opened the scoring, Dale Hooper netted from a tight angle and Rich Green rifled a shot home from outside the penalty area. Matt Cook scored the fourth following a smart turn and finish, while Will Bellfield slotted home the fifth after a mazy run and chip.

Chineham Reserves beat DG Athletic 4-1.

Already-crowned champions Eastrop Eagles enjoyed a comfortable 4-1 win over Soldiers Return Reserves, having beaten their rivals in all three league games this season. Jack Urquhart and Paul Adams scored braces. Soldiers felt they were the better side in the first half but were a goal down at the interval. Early in the second half Paul Couchman equalised 1-1, but Eagles dominated the rest of the half following a breakaway goal which ended Soldiers’ hopes of honours.