Back to news

League News

Treble Bell Rings Finally

  • 22/02/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 19th December, By Tony Spencer.

Bramley United fell behind to an early goal at South Wonston Swifts in their North Hants Chris Price Cup semi-final tie on Sunday writes Tony Spencer. Bramley knuckled down after this early set-back and equalised about 10 minutes later through Colin Bell, the score remaining 1-1 at half-time. Bell crossed for Adam Bartlett to score and edge ahead 1-2, then won a penalty kick which Dean Ridgers converted for 1-3. Bell completed his hat-trick 1-4, before the hosts were gifted an own goal, Bramley United winning 2-4 to book their place in the final.
Affini Technology were a goal down at half-time in their North Hants Senior Cup semi-final tie and pressed hard to get back on level terms against Mucky Duck. After falling two behind, Affini hit the woodwork, but left themselves exposed and were hit again on the break. Mucky Duck were 0-3 deserved winners.
Soldiers Return Reserves travelled to Kings Worthy for their North Hants John Ward Cup semi-final. Soldiers started well and were 0-1 up after rampant Soldiers Merson Webb, Matt Kelly and Hayden Chalker built a 1-4 half-time lead. Matt Kelly's second half hat-trick gave Soldiers Return Reserves a 1-7 passage into the final.
The other semi-final tie was a much closer fought battle, beginning with North Warnborough Reserves taking a 1-0 lead in the first half after Team FC conceded a penalty, tucked away by Ryan Thorpe. The equaliser came when Brendan Vickery started a mazy run from half way and finished low in the bottom right hand corner of the net, a great solo effort. Then, after Dan McKenzie build-up play, Ryan Stephens scored, whipping the ball across goal into the far corner 1-2. Team FC will face Soldiers Return Reserves in the final.
Soldiers Return won their second Division 1 match of the season with a 4-2 victory over Republic of Chineham. Soldiers led 1-0 after Ben Allnutt netted following a goalmouth mêlée. The hosts were pegged back 1-1, but Soldiers were in the driving seat, up 2-1 through an Alex Izzo volley before the interval, extending the lead twice more, to 3-1 with a Jamie Galpin breakaway after a one-two with Izzo and a poor back pass finding the net 4-1. Republic of Chineham staged a late fightback to finish 4-2, their scorers Wayne Finn and Harry Rudge.
Disappointing throughout, Tron suffered their first defeat of the season, 1-3 at the hands of Oakley, who thoroughly deserved the win. The visitors started well, Samie Aldoori to Cian Condon for the opening goal, Samie Aldoori to Jack MacKinnon to cross for Samie Aldoori's header 0-2 at half-time. Oakley defended well and counter attacked, Samie Aldoori to Myles Englefield to go three goals up. Tron got a late goal 10 mins from the end after foul by Laith Aldoori and Finley Hall slotted home a consolation penalty.
Division 2 leaders Hampshire Irons took an early lead against the run of play at AFC Soldiers, when James McIntosh passed to Jack Miller to score with his head. Taylor Watts restored 1-1 parity with a Harry Tuffs' assist before half-time. Watts scored his second after the interval, with Robbie Black in goal the man of the match to secure the home victory.
Kirk Smith scored at the start and end of the game, one from a Bobbi Frost through ball as Eastrop Eagles took an early lead over Chineham. The visitors equalised before have time through Kieron Alleyne, but a Shane West brace and Matt Kempson goal handed Chineham a 2-4 victory.

UWS shared the points in a 2-2 draw against North Warnborough, after going behind twice in the first half. Boro's goals by Joe Pantony and Tom Jourdan.
Camrose Social strengthened their grip on Division 3 with a 7-3 win over DG Athletic, with four goals from Matthew Foreman plus Mat Spargo, Michael Brodie and Aaron Burt. Brodie Good and a pair from Callum Rump were DG's replies.
Chineham Reserves and Rising Sun's duel ended in a 0-0 draw.