Back to news

League News

Bramley battle through extra time & pen

  • 28/11/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 26th November, By Tony Spencer.

Away at Andover RBL, Bramley United’s Colin Bell fell onto a pass from Ben Squibb to open the scoring, before Stuart Leddy made it 0-2 at half-time with a long-distance poke on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. The competition was the Andover Presidents Cup and the home side were not going down without a fight. Soon into the second half the hosts pulled one back to 1-2 and ten minutes from time they levelled 2-2. Extra time ensued, when Andover RBL completed their comeback to take the lead for the first time 3-2. Then, in a dramatic finish, following an Adam Bartlett pass Leddy grabbed an equaliser from 30 yards 3-3 to take the match to a shoot-out, which Bramley prevailed 2-4 on penalties.
Pharmasol Ayrtons had home advantage and put up a competitive defence against North Warnborough, with a Sean Delfosse goal 0-1 being the only difference between them at half-time. But the hosts seemed to wilt against one of the best and fittest sides Borough have put out this season, and Delfosse and Alex Jeffers freely shared the scoring between them to finish 0-9 to North Warnborough, 5 goals to Sean’s credit and 4 to Alex.
Republic of Chineham did not fare so well against their Andover hosts, Arms SMB, who beat them 5-2. Ben Nicholls and George Jones netted Republic‘s goals
In the only all-Basingstoke tie, full-strength Eastrop Eagles took on the 10 men of Hampshire Irons, in what became a well-balanced contest. It was a quality through ball from Nathan Read to Bobbi Frost, to net from outside the box, which edged the hosts a goal up at the break. Then Elliott Forsey doubled the lead with a header from another Read assist, before Irons’ Jack Miller was set up by Mike Pemberton to score a consolation from distance only 2 minutes from the end, leaving no time for the visitors to get back into the match. Gavin Curry did a sterling job in goal for Irons, making some good stops.
North Warnborough Reserves had to replay a North Hants Chris Price Cup round 1 match against FC Twente Two, which had originally been settled in Borough’s favour by penalties. This time around, the match was bossed by a Referee and two Assistant Referees, as well as plenty of supporters attending at the game. Borough benefited from a penalty for handball just two minutes into the game, which Jack McKee tucked away for the only score in the half, 1-0 at half-time. Then after 55 minutes, this time in open play, McKee slotted in his second after an Ollie Owen pass to make it 2-0, and FC Twente Two replied with a goal after switching to a long ball tactic, but Borough held on to victory in the end. Good news came through yesterday that Whalesmead Thistle, Borough’s opponents in the second round, had scratched.
There were three Division 2 matches to complete the Sunday programme. Chineham Reserves were an early goal down but fought back to 2-1 with a David Williamson brace, before Kempshott scored twice more to go 2-3 ahead at half-time, with all Kempshott‘s goals from a hat-trick by Jamie Hope, two from the penalty spot. There were no more goals in the second half.
Overton United beat Team FC 2-1 with goals from Jez Cheek and Louis McCann.
With top of the division, UWS, playing bottom, Shallow End, the match turned out as a good game with evenly-matched teams. UWS took control early on and Chris Bayly scored with an assist from Mikey Davis, and, after Jake Gorman’s shot was parried, a follow-up by Nathan Glasgow gave UWS a 2-0 lead at the break. Shallow End got a goal back shortly into the second half and UWS had to hold on to their slender lead 2-1 to the end.