Back to news

League News

Goals galore in Sunday football

  • 05/09/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 3rd September, By Tony Spencer.

North Warnborough only managed to field nine players, with an outfielder in goal in their debut Division 1 match on Sunday, but they surprised everyone by notching up the opening goal against the odds. Eastrop Eagles, also newly promoted, soon got into their stride, though, with Bobbi Frost slotting home an equaliser, with the visitors cruising into a 1-4 lead by half-time and winning 1-9 by the final whistle, with more goals from Bobbi Frost, Kirk Smith, and braces from Morgan Davis and Elliott Forsey.
An excellent 4-0 win for Oakley. Oakley started well tiring the opposition with short and fast build up throughout the half. The back 4 rarely looked troubled and the midfield were comfortable in possession. Oakleys first came from Dan Bloma rounding the keeper after a great pass from Laith Aldoori with 10 mins to go of the half.
Oakley added a second when Bloma neatly slotted home a cross from Myles Englfield on the stroke of half time.
Paddy Obrien then gave away and saved a penatly before youngster Eddie Lloyd took it past 2 players squaring it for Myles Englefield to make it 3-0. Bloma then completed his hat-trick after finishing from close range after a Matt Bonner cross. Overall a fantastic result for a well drilled Oakley team
Republic of Chineham and Bramley United were all square 1-1 at half-time, with Stuart Leddy scoring for the visitors. Leddy scored again in the second half, along with Colin Bell and Neil Armstrong, although the hosts pulled one back at the end to finish 2-4.
Chineham were on top of their visit to Soldiers Return for the first 15 minutes, although the hosts started to reassert themselves. On 24 minutes Chineham’s Jamie Dockree piled the pressure on the full back and robbed him of the ball and calmly slotted past the keeper for 0-1, which remained the score at the interval. Soldiers Return played better in the second half and man of the match Cobi Judd took the ball behind the defence for Matt Kelly to equalise. With only five minutes remaining, Warren Hill found Alex Izzo on the back post to head the winner 2-1.
There are only two divisions in the Sunday section this season, which has involved some shuffling of clubs, but we believe we have two competitive divisions. Certainly we had plenty of goals, with around 6 per match in Division 1 and the average goals scored in Division 2 was just short of 10 goals a game.
The Division 2 match between new club Kempshott and Basingstoke Saints was certainly competitive and even all the way through. Saints opened the scoresheet with an own goal, which was equalised by Ed Quick 1-1. Liam James then scored twice for the visitors 1-3, before Kempshott’s Jamie Hope netted from the penalty spot and added a second in open play to level 3-3. Saints edged ahead again, only to be pegged back to 4-4 as Hope finished off his hat-trick. Scott Cross made it 4-5, but Chris Bode evened up the final score at 5-5, which was a fair result all round.
Team FC scored an early goal through Adam Everiss from the penalty spot, but then visitors North Warnborough Reserves edged 1-2 ahead at the interval, with Nial Day and Daniel Mellors scoring. Boro were rampant in the second half, taking the game to 2-7 with Ryan Thorpe outstanding. Andy Parker scored a hat-trick, one from a penalty, Henry Ransey getting on the scoresheet. At the end Everiss got his second goal for Team.
UWS hammered Chineham Athletic 9-1, with Jake Gorman getting 4, Ryan Lupton 2, and Tyler Shayler, Chris Rowe, and Craig Short getting one each.