Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 22nd November

  • 24/11/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

United squad beat off bare Eagles

Bramley United dominated their home North Hants Chris Price Cup tie against Eastrop Eagles on Sunday. The main difference between the two sides were that Eagles started with the bare 11, while Bramley had a full squad for the match. Bramley United triumphed 5-2, with goals from Colin Bell with a brace, Simon Goff, Adam Bartlett, and Neil Armstrong, completing a fine run of five wins on the trot. This became Eastrop Eagles' first defeat in five games.

Chineham enjoyed success passage to the next round with a tense 3-2 victory over visitors Vernham Dean, with goals by Kieron Alleyne, James Staple and James Hanley.

UWS's run of three consecutive away wins came to an end in a 3-1 defeat at Nether Wallop. The Andover side were in excellent form, with only one defeat in 11 games.

Chineham Athletic won their away tie with a clean sheet in the North Hants John Ward Cup at Enham Vision by three clear goals. Although Enham Vision top the Andover Division 3 table, they are presently in meltdown, having lost the last four games. Ben Owen scored a goal in each half, with Dave Fagan sealing the result late on.

DG Athletic narrowly lost at home 1-2 against SParTEN of Andover Division 2, James Brown firing in a consolation goal.

North Warnborough Reserves continued their impressive form with a 2-10 victory at Ropley, with Sean Delfosse netting five goals, a hat-trick for Alex Jeffers, plus strikes by Dean Frost and Ryan Pilley.

Wheatsheaf progressed to the third round of the North Hants Senior Cup with an impressive 2-6 victory at Owlesbury. Joining them are Basingstoke Saints who had a walkover after hosts FC Everest couldn’t raise a team.

It was top versus second in Division 1, which promised a close encounter, but Basingstoke Royals ran the show from kick-off to final whistle, winning 7-0 in the end against FC Basing, extending their lead at the top to six points, and a run of seven wins on the trot. The scoring opened with Richard Wilcox sending a hopeful, long, deep cross to the far post, which cleared everyone and snuck in! That lead was doubled with a wicked 25 yard shot from Ashley Taylor. After the break Basing had a great opportunity to get into the game, in a one-on-one with the keeper, but new goalie Nick Wilcox justified his inclusion with a fine save. At the other end, the Basing goalie missed a back pass for an own goal and the fight was over. The game was wrapped up with goals from Luke Richardson, Steve Horton and Amit Bhuller.

Soldiers Return found themselves a goal down after only 10 minutes, with Rob Chandler netting for Republic of Chineham. Five minutes later they were level, a long throw from Alex Izzo was headed home at the back post by Fred Cloke. Cobi Judd closed in on the keeper, the ball cannoning off keeper and Judd into net for 2-1. Republic levelled 2-2 again, as Adam Di Mambro equalised, but it was soon 3-2 after Izzo crossed to Judd to find the top corner of the goal with the outside of his foot before the break. It was all Soldiers Return in the second half, two similar goals coming from balls over the top, with Judd scoring around the keeper; the final two strikes coming from Cloke, one a penalty. Result 7-2, with a hat-trick for Cloke and four goals for Judd. Soldiers' third home win on the trot saw them ease into second place in the table.

Only one game played in Division 2, a very competitive game saw North Warnborough go a goal behind to visitors Team FC early on, Henry Ranchly equalised, and Tom Davies broke away and around keeper, for 2-1 at half-time. The visitors levelled after the break and won with a late winner, 2-3 to Team. This fixture was switched at the last minute, but means that Borough have played ten consecutive home games, a record I bet only matched by HM Prison FC!

Division 3 side FC Benidorm of Stoke extended their form to four wins in a row after inflicting a 8-0 defeat on a depleted Basingstoke Saints Reserves. Taylor Watts and John Spencer scored braces, Tom Langley and James Buckland singles, Luke Taylor a wonder goal, and Jamie Bennett a wonder solo goal.