Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 6th December

  • 08/12/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

County cup roundup

Soldiers Return travelled to Fareham on Sunday to face FFC XI in the third round of the Hampshire Sunday Senior Cup, and found themselves a goal down to a penalty after ten minutes and two behind at the interval. Alex Izzo got Soldiers back in the game, with a header at the back post, at 2-1 but, after FFC XI made a good save under pressure, the hosts were ahead again 3-1. Freddie Cloke reduced the gap from the penalty spot, and before long it was 3-3 after Cobi Judd got an equaliser. Pressing forward to win the game, Soldiers had an excellent chance to secure the game late on, but FFC XI broke away to win the game 4-3, Soldiers' first defeat after three successive wins.

Oakley visited runaway leaders of the City of Portsmouth Sunday League Co-op Dragons. After a close-fought first half, they were 2-0 down at the interval, and feeling rather frustrated, being denied a penalty opportunity. In the second half Oakley conceded two early goals and rather lost their way after that, conceding further participation in an 8-1 defeat. This was their first defeat after three successive wins.

Wheatsheaf entertained Waterlooville Social Club, current leaders of the Meon Valley Sunday League, and with a plus-29 goal difference in the bank, and were roundly beaten 0-7.

In the Hampshire Sunday Junior A Cup, Bramley United played host to Crofton Saints of the Gosport, Fareham & Solent Sunday League Division 1. Bramley were carrying a few injuries at the commencement of the proceedings, conceded a goal, which they equalised before going behind again, and eventually losing 2-6. This their first defeat following a great run of six wins in a row.

Farlington Academicals'results are an enigma this season, losing all their Meon Valley Sunday League Division 1 games and firmly bottom of the table, while enjoying a victorious run in the county cup. They won 2-1 against visitors Revolution.

Dayers Fine Foods were ahead in their Basingstoke Kelvin Cup tie after only one minute, by a Joe Hill strike, against rivals Tron. The visitors equalised after 12 minutes, with Kieron Fuller driving a screamer into the top corner of the goal. Five minutes before the interval, Tron were ahead, Chris Morris burying a penalty, 1-2 remaining the state of play at the interval. Two more goals sealed the tie 1-4 in Tron's favour, with David Morgan coming on as substitute to lob the keeper, and Michael Allison heading home from a Morris corner.

Chineham came from behind to secure a 6-3 victory over UWS in Division 2, with Finlay Thompson and Matt Kempson each bagging braces, a strike by Jamie Dockree, and an own goal. James Tarrant had put UWS in front and Jake Williams added another later.

Eastrop Eagles were beaten 1-4 by North Warnborough, the visitors' first league win and first away victory of the season.

In Division 3, after a fairly even first half hour, and playing some good football, Basingstoke Saints Reserves' lack of confidence going forward was highlighted, with Soldiers Return Reserves taking a 0-3 advantage into the second half. Matt Kelly shone with the first of his two goals, making an early solo run from his own half, beating two players before putting the ball away. Tom Hartley tucked away the second after getting on the end of a through ball on the half hour mark. Hartley added a second from distance before half-time. After the break Hartley completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Kelly completed his brace, before Jamie Lucas came on as substitute and also scored a pair. Finally, Dan Trussler buried a fine shot from the edge of the box for a 0-8 final score.

Despite scoring all his sides' four goals, Camrose Social's Adam Robinson found himself on the losing side, with narrow victory to FC Benidorm of Stoke by 5-4. The home team's goals were delivered by Jamie Bennett, Joshua Taylor from a free kick, and a Taylor Watts' hat-trick. This results notches up six wins on the trot for FC Benidorm of Stoke, which was also their sixth consecutive home victory.