Back to news

League News

Gary shoots down Wildebeest

  • 30/11/16
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 6th November, By Tony Spencer.

FC Basing's performance on Sunday at Andover's FC Wildebeest, in the Hampshire Sunday Senior Cup, may just relaunch their season. FC Basing won 1-2, firstly with a goal from Richard Gary, then Matt Osborne followed up Gary's free kick for the second. This was Basing's first win in five games, and initial victory away from home.

In a close fought game, Oakley Club de Futbol Albion cancelled out an early setback thanks to a Dan Bloma penalty, but Samie Aldoori headed into his own net to fall 2-1 behind again. Nether Wallop then banged in four quick goals to go to 6-1. Although Oakley had lots of possession, they had nothing up front, and that is how it finished.

Soldiers Return and FC Boca were level 3-3 after normal time, and went straight to penalties. Soldiers' had the best of the early exchanges but missed chances and were 0-2 down before Alex Izzo pegged it back to 1-2 by the break. Soldiers pressed and, with 20 minutes to go, levelled 2-2 with Izzo's second. FC Boca edged ahead again at 2-3, but with three minutes left, Andrew McCartney equalised following a mêlée. The hosts scored all five penalties but the Boca keeper missed his shot, so Soldiers triumphed 5-4 on penalties.

Two ties were settled by the away side failing to travel, Republic of Chineham had a walkover against Halfway United, and Tron went through after an Andover Sports no-show.

Eastrop Eagles were two goals in front of Lyndhurst JFC at the interval in the Hampshire Sunday Junior A Cup, thanks to Elliott Forsey, set up by Kirk Smith and Wes Bush, and a Lee Bush strike, following good work by Paul Adams. But Lyndhurst replied with four goals and, despite Forsey' 25-yarder into the top corner, Eastrop Eagles went out 3-4.

No such dramas at UWS, where Cobra Jets were unable to hold the hosts back after a​ 25-yard screamer from Ashley Perryman, soon followed by Nathan Glasgow latching onto a square ball from Aaron Farmer. Once Ben Woods sent a ball over the top, headed in by Tyler Shayler for a 3-0 half-time lead, the game was in the bag. Chris Rowe netted the fourth after Shayler's set up, and Perryman completed his brace when his free kick went through the keeper's legs.

Chineham travelled to City of Portsmouth side Watersedge Park, who had won three of their last four games, and triumphed 1-2, with strikes from Kieron Alleyne and Dan Greenwood.

Chineham Reserves earned their first home win of the season, progressing in the Hampshire Sunday Junior B Cup 3-1 against AFC Wolversdene Old Boys from Andover. Lee Sappleton notched up a brace, James Buckland a single.

North Warnborough Reserves were 1-0 up after Jack McGee netted after 30 minutes, but Portswood United levelled 1-1 five minutes before the break. Each side tried to break through with the winner, but the visitors first made it 1-2 before, on 87 minutes, Luke Moreton's good breakaway goal took the tie to spot-kicks. It was a tense 4-4 after five penalties and sudden death, but Michael Sewell in goal made two great saves in the shoot out to win 6-5 on penalties. North Warnborough Reserves are now unbeaten in four.

Soldiers Return Reserves went ahead on 35 minutes against JPMorgan Reserves through Matt Kelly, on the end of a cross from David Henwood. In the second half Callum Silcox stretched the lead to 2-0, were pegged back to 2-1, but Reece Medford made the game safe 3-1.

Chineham Athletic lost 1-3 at home to Camberley side Rushmoor Reserves.

Overton United had a walkover as TML withdrew, saving a trip to Gosport, while Rising Sun pulled out of an away tie at Portchester.

Affini Technology were eliminated from the Andover Presidents Cup by a narrow 1-2 margin against Tidworth Town. The rot started with a bad back pass, a deficit doubled to 0-2 before a fightback began with a Joe Lawler goal but Affini couldn't conjure up another.

AFC Soldiers had a bad day away from the office, suffering their first away defeat in a 9-2 Division 2 mauling at Bramley United. It was already 6-0 at half-time, from a Darren McWilliam header, Stuart Leddy hat-trick and Colin Bell brace. Soldiers pulled one back 6-1, but Leddy got his fourth while Neil Armstrong, Les Wood and Charlie Jones filled their boots.

In ​Division 3, Team FC were a goal down to visitors RAF Odiham Blades after 20 minutes, then two behind from a free kick near the corner flag, both goals from James Hindmarch. In the second half Team pressed for the whole of the half, getting a reward on 67 minutes with Mark Frost's shot into the bottom righthand corner. Joe Richardson missed a chance when denied a penalty and Connor McKenzie was thwarted by a good save. Brendan Vickery earned a point 2-2 when he took his chance, and it could even have been a victory but denied by the post near the end.