Back to news

League News

Sunshine football means almost 7 goals

  • 05/09/18
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 2nd September, By Tony Spencer.

Chineham started off their Division 1 campaign in brilliant sunshine with a clean sheet and 8 away goals on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. Brookvale United were on the receiving end of the mauling with much of their woe self-inflicted. The first goal was a goalkeeping error (failed headed clearance by Dean Munkley), the second an own goal by Ashley Knight and the fourth a defensive error by Knight. Jack Waldron had Brookvale’s best chance with a well taken but saved free kick. Chineham's goals were a Nathan Barlow treble, Adam N’Diti and Jamie Dockree braces plus the own goal. One second-half goal that stood out came after fantastic build up play, N’Diti spotted Barlow’s into the box, took the ball on his chest and slotted away into the bottom left corner.

After a competitive opening half, when Eastrop Eagles took a 1-0 lead 15 minutes in, Stuart Leddy equalised shortly after for Bramley United, the half ending 1-1. The visitors then opened up, winning 3-7. Leddy added a second, Sean Delfosse and Richie Kalwarczyk netted braces. George Eastman scored a spectacular free kick from 30 yards. Eastrop Eagles' goals from Lewis Mitchell, Jon Savage and substitute Tom Green.

Hampshire Irons took the lead against Team FC after 43 minutes, with Terry Lock assisting Mike Pemberton's strike, but 30 seconds later Team levelled 1-1. In the second half Team added 6 goals without reply.

North Warnborough were a goal up after 11 minutes through Sulliman Fofane, but visitors Tadley Tigers were on top throughout and replied on 20 minutes with a Luke Yelland goal 1-1. Liam Belcher was taken down on 45 minutes, the resultant penalty made it 1-2 by half time. A ball over the top by Oliver Hunt led to Luke Yelland scoring his second 1-3 on 48 minutes, and Hunt scored Tigers' fourth on 65 minutes.

Champions Republic of Chineham entertained Soldiers Return in a good, even game. Republic took an early chance from the edge of the box 1-0. After the home keeper's mistake, Stu Cubbage slotted home to level, before a long goal kick picked out Cubbage who set up Joshua Lowther for a 1-2 half-time lead. Republic levelled early in the second half 2-2. Two red cards for the hosts spurred them to played tighter and Republic scored a last minute winner 3-2.

In Division 2 newcomers AFC Laarsens got off to an early start against debutants South Ham Saints with a neat one on one finish from Dan Bloma for 1-0. They added two more goals with efforts from long range by Scott Large nestling into the bottom corner. Jamie Smith's effort was deflected in for 4-0 and Bloma grabbed his second before the break, 5-0. AFC Laarsens defended well in the second half with Keith Tucker's colossal performance at centre back next to Jim Wheeler. Around 75 minutes AFC Laarsens went 6 up with Bloma's hat-trick, another great finish. Finally, Danny Costen scored a fantastic header to wrap up a great 7-0 win.

A strong performance by Basingstoke Saints against a well organised Overton United was scoreless at half time, but settled in the hosts' favour with two clinical Liam James' finishes for 2-0. Ryan Webb was excellent in defence on his debate for Saints, and Ellis Wyles was very assured and set up the second goal.

Camrose Social beat Kempshott 4-3 after coming back from behind, with goals from Jake Gorman from the penalty spot, Gareth Slade, George Martin and Chris Waller. Kempshott goals came from Aaron Chapman, who opened the scoring. Kempshott conceded twice including a penalty before half time, 2-1. In the second half they were 4-1 down, before Jack Sedgewick made it 4-2 and Chapman netted again to finish 4-3.

Chineham Cavaliers had much of the possession but missed lots of chances, with Harry Major scoring their only goal. Chineham Reserves won control of the midfield and hit the hosts with three strikes on the counter, winning 1-3, with goals from Alex Izzo George Hallahan and Mark West.

New Park Rangers dominated their game against Shallow End 6-4, kicking off with the opener after 10 minutes when Jonny Ray netted from 35 yards. After falling behind on 20 minutes it was 2-2 on 25 minutes and on 30 minutes from long range. Dylan Bardell scored from Callum Greenly 3-2. A 30 yarder levelled 3-3 by half-time. Jordan Russell and Joe Hodge made it 5-3 during the second half before Bardell finished the scoring with 10 minutes left.