Back to news

League News

Kubacki double creates a first

  • 06/04/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 1st April, By Tony Spencer.

Soldiers Return stormed into an early lead in their Sunday Division 1 match at Husaria with a penalty kick by Fred Cloke. Daniel Grimes doubled Soldiers' advantage with a chip over the keeper to give the visitors a comfortable lead. However, Husaria bounced back to level at 2-2 by half-time. Buoyed by their success, Husaria found the net twice more to lead 4-2, leaving shell-shocked Soldiers only able to respond with a late goal from Jamie Galpin. Husaria's 4-3 victory is their first league win and takes them up to fourth in the table. Husaria's goals came from Marcin Momot, Jakub Kasperczak, and a Mateusz Kubacki brace.

Affini Technology turned up for their Division 1 encounter against visitors Oakley with a bare eleven players and missing a goalkeeper. Oakley also started with only eleven players, giving Jake Hartley his full debut. However, Hartley pulled down Nick Jupp in the box which allowed Affini to equalise Laith Aldoorie's earlier 20 foot screamer, so it was 1-1 at half-time. Oakley scored early in the second half to make it 1-3, thanks to Myles Englefield and Danny Costen, before Affini hit the target with their second. Cian Condon scored and Danny Costen hit the target with a fine volley, lifting the score to a comfortable 2-5 lead, before Myles Englefield scored twice late on and completed his hat-trick. Final score 2-7 to Oakley, giving the visitors a league double.

In Division 2 AFC Soldiers were beaten 0-2 by Bramley United in what was a relatively even game settled by two sloppy defensive errors. Although Bramley dominated possession early on, the game was still goalless at half-time. Ben Squibb eventually netted for the visitors, about 15 minutes from the end corner and a Phil Mark header sealed another victory.

Chineham took a 1-0 early lead through a Kieron Alleyne half-volley. Despite missing a early penalty, UWS got back in the game, with Chris Bayly and Nathan Glasgow netting to give the visitors a 1-2 half-time lead. The game was played at a fast pace and Chineham pressing to get on level terms led to Matt Evans' breakaway goal giving UWS a 1-3 advantage. Chineham plugged away, though and Dan Greenwood conjured up a brace to share the points, but Chineham's pressure couldn’t find the winning goal.​  

Hampshire Irons dominated possession against Basingstoke Saints, but were 0-1 down after 10 minutes when keeper Jack Rickard spilled a catch, the only goal of the first half. After the break Irons pushed hard and Saints kept them at bay until Jordan Grant drove the equaliser into the top corner of the net on 86 minutes. Three minutes later Mike Pemberton picked out James McIntosh to score the late winner for Irons 2-1, with only seconds to spare.

North Warnborough played a competitive match with visitors Eastrop Eagles, but the hosts built up a 3-0 lead with strikes from Joe Pantony Alex Jeffers and Sean Delfosse before Bobbi Frost pulled back for Eastrop with a header. An own goal sealed the points for Boro but Eagles wouldn't give the game up and Keith Davies netted a volley at the end, 4-2 to North Warnborough.

North Warnborough Reserves had a very competitive game in their Division 3 visit to Team FC, and managed to take a 0-2 lead. Team refused to give in and pulled back with two goals, the equaliser scored by Connor McKenzie with a left foot shot. It looked like both sides were settling for a point apiece, when  Lawrence Wright scored the winner for Boro with a header at the end. The 2-3 result ended Team's seven game unbeaten run and handed the league double to Boro.​

Chineham Athletic were beaten 3-5 by Soldiers Return Reserves