Back to news

League News

Soldiers remember Andover's RBL

  • 16/11/16
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 13th November, By Tony Spencer.

On Remembrance Sunday, Soldiers Return entertained Andover RBL in the Andover Presidents Cup. It was a close-fought battle in the first half, with only Mike Gilham's goal 1-0 separating the sides at half-time. Then Soldiers dominated the second half, with Alex Izzo striking from the edge of the area at a tight angle, to double the score. Andover RBL were awarded a penalty to make it 2-1, but that was their only score of the morning. Soldiers marched on with Izzo scoring from a corner by Fred Cloke, Izzo then completed his hat-trick. Finally, Coli Judd was pulled down in the area and Cloke stepped up to score from the spot.

League debutants Husaria are going well in cup competitions and Sunday was no exception, when they visited Broughton and triumphed 2-6, in what was Husaria's first away win. Pawel Derbot knocked in four goals with strikes from Mateusz Kubacki.

Republic of Chineham went down 3-2 away at SParTEN, Wayne Finn and Ben Nicholls scored for Republic.

Cup-holders Tron progressed in a walkover, after Andover Sports couldn't raise a team.

Basingstoke Saints had to endure a difficult start 0-4 half-time deficit to Bramley United in the Hampshire Sunday Junior A Cup. Bramley took their chances, while Saints created four one on ones, which the keeper saved every time. The second half was a scrappy period of play which surrendered few chances. Colin Bell scored twice and Adam Bartlett netted from a penalty to add to an own goal. This was Bramley United's fifth win in a row.

After a goalless first half in the Division 2 match between Chineham and North Warnborough, Sean Delfosse scored for the visitors with a breakaway goal. However, a penalty to Chineham, converted by Matt Kempson, brought parity at 1-1, and reduced the visitors to ten men. It was thesjort-handed team that edged ahead, though, Sean Delfosse snatched his second for 1-2 and, late in the game, with Chineham pressing for a result, the hosts were hit on the break by Jack McGee, result 1-3 to North Warnborough. This was the first defeat for Chineham this season.

Hampshire Irons filled their boots in a 9-0 mauling of AFC Soldiers. Mike Pemberton started the rot with a run up the wing and cross for Jordan Grant to volley in to score. Later, Pemberton scored from a Ben Wootton cross, and Jack Miller scored at the back post after Robert Mead's cross. James McIntosh netted another before the interval, 4-0 at half-time. Pemberton scored his second, and Liam Hinchcliff scored on his debut, McIntosh completed his brace, Hinchcliff grabbed a second and Dean James headed in from close range.

UWS thought the 0-0 result from Eastrop Eagles' visit was a fair reflection of the game. This ended a run of five defeats for Eagles, so this was a nail-biting end to end game for them, and the longer it went on the more tense the saving of a point was. Eagles' Jon Peart made a goalline clearance, while Kenton West in goal was kept busy, making some good saves near the end.

Camrose Social and Chineham Reserves shared a 1-1 draw in Division 3, with Ian Jones and Joe Marsh scoring respectively. The result ends a run of eight straight wins for Camrose and continues a run of unbeaten in four games for Chineham.

Team FC turned up at North Warnborough Reserves with just the bare 11, so no substitutes or assistant referee. After 40 minutes a Tom Lucas free kick was cleared by the Team defence, but Jack Magee slotted home 1-0 for the only first half goal. Ten minutes into the second half Team made it 1-1. It was end to end football before 65 minutes, when a breakaway by Malcolm Rogers was tackled, the defender's clearance fell to Tom Davies, who beat the keeper in a one on one for 2-1. In the 89th minute, a free kick by Lucas was collected by Andy Parker, crossed, and Tom Davies converted for 3-1, extending Boro's current record to five games unbeaten.

Rising Sun's 1-3 home defeat against Chineham Athletic means they've now gone five games without a win.