Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 8th November

  • 13/11/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Tron's nap hand in Andover

Tron travelled to Andover on Sunday, in the second round of the Hampshire Sunday Senior Cup, to play Charlton Royals, who had slammed four goals without reply past FC Everest in the previous round. David Parry settled Tron's apprehensions with a strike after ten minutes, the only goal of the half. In the first minute of restarting, James Tarrant doubled the lead, which was tripled five minutes later by Scott Winterbourne, effectively ending the tie as a contest. Siyani Thomas buried the fourth before five minutes from time, Ross Soper-Dyer's header made off it 0-5 to Tron, with a run of three away wins on the trot.

Basingstoke Saints are playing good football without getting results. Falling a goal behind to Aldershot visitors Elm Tree RBA, before Alex Lennard levelled by the break, but Elm Tree came out strongly, with all boots blazing, scoring eight in the final 45, until Matthew Cuthbertson finished a final consolation.

Oakley put in a solid team performance, with the defence being particularly resilient, against Arms Athletic, winners of the equivalent Intermediate Cup last May. Oakley triumphed from the only goal by Dan Costen.

An all-Basingstoke tie saw Soldiers Return take a 10th minute lead over Republic of Chineham, after Ellis Hauman's corner kick found Frederick Cloke's forehead. Six minutes later an own goal made it 1-1. Soldiers edged ahead again, with Andrew Darmody's volley at the back post, followed by Cobi Judd slipping through the defence for 3-1 by half-time. Twenty minutes into the second half the lead was cut to 3-2, before Cloke's cross-cum-shot, looped over the keeper for 4-2. It wasn't game over yet, as Republic scored twice in the last 20 minutes to level 4-4 at the final whistle. Alex Izzo's spot kick hit the crossbar at 1-1, so the penalties ran 1-2, 2-2, 2-3 and 3-3; Soldiers Return converted their last, but Republic missed the last two. So, Soldiers progressed 4-3 on penalties, in complete contrast to the previous week when Republic beat them 7-0!

The tie between F.I.L.O. and Wheatsheaf was postponed until next Sunday.

In the Hampshire Sunday Junior A Cup, Revolution beat Down End, from Gosport, Fareham & Solent league, 5-1, with braces each from Simon Jane and Ashley Roberts, plus Craig Atkinson's single. Revolution are unbeaten in the last six, all home games.

UWS were defeated 1-5 by Bridgemary Eagles, also from the Solent League, which ended a splendid run of six unbeaten games.

The all-Basingstoke tie between North Warnborough and Bramley United ended 0-6, the visitors two goals up after four minutes through Adam Bartlett and Stuart Leddy. Warnborough kept Bramley at bay until half-time, but once more fell victim to a couple of early goals, Bartlett again and Nick Harris, before a home player was taken to hospital with a suspected break. Harris scored a free kick, and Jamie Ward followed with the sixth near the end.

The tie between East Christchurch SSC Reserves and Hampshire Irons was postponed until next Sunday.

None of our Division 3 sides progressed past this round of the Hampshire Sunday Junior B Cup. Chineham Reserves were unable to raise a side to travel to Bridgemary Colts.

Neil Hudswell scored a lone home goal as DG Athletic went down 1-7 to Bournemouth Electric Reserves, a Haywards Division 2 side.

Soldiers Return Reserves entertained Southampton side Durley in a close fought and competitive cup tie match, with both sides creating chances. Durley took the lead 30 minutes into the game with a lob from halfway, which carried on the wind. The Soldiers' keeper later made a good save but the the rebound followed up, 0-2 by half-time, with no further score.

There were some league fixtures. In Division 1 FC Everest lost 4-6 at home after reducing the deficit to two against FC Basing. It was a close but scrappy first half, ending 0-1. But poor home defending saw the visitors score four more in 10 minutes, from Neil King and Matthew Osborne plus a Stephen Bean hat trick. Everest had a mountain to climb but James Ariss and Cameron George strung two goals together, and Terry Dingley, the keeper, buried a penalty after a rebound, 3-5. However, Daniel Belcher stopped the comeback at 3-6, before Connor Dawber slotted past the keeper with the best goal of the game. FC Basing now top Division 1.

Basingstoke Royals beat Dayers Fine Foods 3-1. James Gilham scored either side of the interval, the first from a free kick, the second fired into the top corner of the net. Substitute Stuart Urquhart made it 3-0 and comfortable winners, before Royals conceded a David Lee consolation in the closing minutes.

Chineham beat Team 4-2 in Division 2, for a first home win, Finlay Thompson, Jamie Dockree, and Kieron Alleyne brace, while Josh Thomson and Ryan Stephens replied for Team.

Basingstoke Saints Reserves lost their second Division 3 match by 2-3 against Chineham Athletic. With good play and goals from Andy Darracott and Karl Jones, the home side were 2-2 with five minutes to go but undone by an own goal off James Smith. Ben Owen and Steve Hartwell hit the target for Athletic.