Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 11th October

  • 17/10/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Day light for Warnborough

The preliminary round of the Bernard Cornish Cup saw North Warnborough entertain new club FC Benidorm of Stoke on Sunday. After ten minutes the visitors were ahead 0-1 and it was another 15 minutes before the hosts equalised with Nial Day's individual goal 1-1. North Warnborough edged ahead just before half-time with a penalty buried by Tom Davies 2-1. After the break it became 3-1 through substitute Ryan Thorpe's strike. D,ue to a lack of concentration, Benidorm levelled 3-3 with a brace of well-taken goals. The tie was destined for extra time until 89 minutes, when Day wellied Warnborough's winner. Taylor Watts and a brace by Luke Taylor, netted for FC Benidorm of Stoke.

A close-fought first half, in a Division 1 match at Dayers Fine Foods, was split by a single goal after 20 minutes with Freddie Cloke's header at the far post for Soldiers Return. The visitors extended their lead after the break when Cobi Judd cut in from the wing, and Cloke added his second after a 35-yard free kick. Nick Saunders pulled one back for Dayers 1-3, but with ten minutes to go Jamie Galpin cut in from the side and beat the keeper, 1-4 to Soldiers Return, their third win on the bounce.

FC Basing beat Basingstoke Saints 6-0 with a hat-trick from Stephen Bean, Dan Belcher brace and Tom Skinner single.

A late penalty stole the show as Oakley grabbed a grateful point in a 2-2 draw with visitors FC Everest, who had led the game twice. The opening goal came on ten minutes after debutant Cameron George latched onto a through ball, neatly lobbing the approaching keeper. The hosts levelled 1-1, before George squared for James Hurst's tap in for Everest's second. David Chilcott's handball conceded the penalty which denied Everest a win. This was the first week that Everest fielded a full team of subs.

Republic of Chineham seem to have turned the corner after a slow start, recording their third win on the trot with a clinical 4-0 win over a weakened Tron FC. Sam Nicholls opened the account, scoring direct from a corner. A penalty kick from Ben Nicholls, after Sam Nicholls was upended in the box, made it 2-0 by half-time, with two more goals effort the end. Tron were unlucky to lose two players to injury early on, including the goalkeeper, Ryan Watts taking over the goalie's jersey.

Wheatsheaf suffered their first defeat, beaten 0-3 by a comfortable Basingstoke Royals, not tested defensively, having achieved three clean sheets already in their new Sunday morning adventure. Steven Price was assisted by Amit Bhuller for the first, then Amit Bhuller was primed by Craig Barker. James Gilham buried the third after a Barker pass.

Hampshire Irons set out their stall early with purpose, after only five minutes against unbeaten Division 2 leaders Affini Technology, when Terry Lock pounced on a short back pass to score. After the home side equalised, Charlie Henry crossed to Mike Barry, registering his first goal for Irons, before Barry's back-heel nicked in off the post for 1-3 at half-time. The lead was stretched to 1-4 by Henry after Rob Mead's fine run and cross, but Jack Miller as sent off for handball to stop a certain goal, Affini's penalty got them back in the game at 2-4 and two more goals followed 4-4, against the depleted visitors. Matt Bennett got a pair, with David Weatherhead and Nathan Hollis for Affini. Both sides will be in title contention at the end of the season, with Hampshire Irons unbeaten in four games.

Adam Bartlett netted a home hat-trick, but Bramley United lost 3-5 to Chineham. Kieron Alleyne matched Bartlett's prial and raised it with Jamie Dockree and James Hanley singles.

Eastrop Eagles lost 2-3 to UWS, while Revolution drew 2-2 with Team.

A bad-tempered game at Division 3 Camrose Social saw North Warnborough Reserves lose their 100% record in a 2-2 draw, where a vociferous crowd of Camrose made their presence felt. The home side were a goal up after ten minutes, cancelled out by a Sean Delfosse penalty, before Danny Frost put the visitors ahead, sparking off crowd response to pressurise the official. The equaliser came in the 85th minute, Camrose's scorers Mark Goldsworthy and Byron Letch.

Chineham Reserves slapped Chineham Athletic with a 7-0 drubbing, as Serge Holland notched up a hat-trick, plus singles from Tyler Andrews, Joe Marsh, David Williamson, and Ellesio Stait.

Soldiers Return Reserves fell behind midway through a tight first half against DG Athletic, but levelled just before the break, with a fine effort from 18 yards. Soldiers dominated to go 4-1 up, Thomas Hartley curling a shot into the top corner and completing his hat-trick on 66 minutes utilising a lose ball. In the last 15 minutes, DG scored twice as James Brown completed his hat-trick to run the game to a close 4-3 finish. Jamie Lucas scored Soldier's other goal.