Back to news

League News

Tron in Nether regions again

  • 11/04/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 8th April, By Tony Spencer.

Tron met Nether Wallop for the second time in three weeks in a cup semi-final, on Sunday. Last time it was in the Kelvin Cup and Tron missed out on a final at the penalty shoot-out. This time around it was the Andover Presidents Cup semi-final and Tron were on a mission. Once again, a close-fought game but now the home side had a bit of quality about them with Kieron Fuller back in defence and Dave Parry returned from injury up front. Ross Cook put Tron ahead 1-0 after just 10 minutes from a Kieron Fuller long throw, the only score of the first half. The visitors equalised 1-1, but Jesse Todd linked well with Ross Cook, who slotted the ball past the advancing keeper with 10 minutes to play, 2-1 to Tron, finally getting the best of Nether Wallop.

Husaria won their second Division 1 match in a row with a 2-5 result away at Affini Technology. The first goal came after 20 minutes through Maciej Glowacki. Affini levelled 1-1, but Poitr Horbowicz fired in Husaria's second, Maciej Glowacki added his second with a one-on-one on the keeper. Each side netted to take the score to 2-4, before Pawel Derbot scored at the near post, from a corner, to make the game safe.

Oakley missed lots of chances, dominating play but still 0-0 at the interval. Still pressing, Oakley were twice caught by Daniel Grimes on the break to fall 0-2 behind before Sammi Aldorri converted a penalty for 1-2. Then Grimes broke away again to hand a 1-3 victory to Soldiers Return. This was Oakley's first league defeat.

Kieran Maylen opened hosts AFC Soldiers tally from the spot, against Chineham in Division 2. Marvyn White slotted an equaliser into the bottom right hand corner for 1-1, then it was 1-2 after White collected from Daryl Goater before half-time. Late on, against the run of play, Soldiers stole a back pass to share the points.

Team opened their Division 3 match at Chineham Reserves with a Mark Frost curler from outside the box. Chineham restored 1-1 parity despite the Team's keeper Dan McKenzie's save, but couldn't stop the follow up from the corner. A long ball was fumbled in for an own goal to edge Team ahead. Dan McKenzie took a penalty 1-3, then Joe Richardson smashed the ball into the top corner for a fourth, before Mark Frost beat three players and rounded the keeper for 1-5. A second penalty ensured Dan McKenzie got his brace in a 1-6 win. Connor McKenzie was MOTM.  ​

North Warnborough Reserves romped to a 7-1 win over Soldiers Return Reserves. Dan Mellors' through ball set up Andy Parker for the only first-half goal for Boro. Soldiers tired in the second half and Tom Lucas strikes the second. Substitute Tom Davies set up Parker for his brace, 3-0, then Davies scored twice to make it 5-0. Soldiers converted a penalty for 5-1, before Davie hat-trick, Soldiers converted a penalty for their consolation 5-1, but Tom Davies added two more. The 7-1 win means a run of seven victories on the trot.

There were evening matches on the previous Tuesday, 4 April. In Division 2 Hampshire Irons beat Bramley United 1-0, after Jack Rickard made good saves to keep Bramley at bay. The only goal came 15 minutes into the second half after James McIntosh was fouled and Rob Mead scored from the spot. James Arnold and Chris Arnold were outstanding in defence.

Chineham Reserves beat Chineham Athletic in Division 3 4-0, with goals from Clayton Deakin, Lee Sappleton, Luke Russell, and Ryan Oates

North Warnborough Reserves won 10-1 at home to RAF Odiham Blades. A quick goal from Tom Lucas came after 2 minutes, then 2-0 after Ryan Thorpe's header in 5 minutes. A free kick by Andy Parker on 20 minutes, a second from Lucas on 30 minutes. Parker's chip was slotted in by Thorpe for a 6-0 half-time lead. RAF scored a breakaway 6-1, but more pressure lead to Thorpe's hat trick. Substitute Jason Williams scored with a solo run. Davies and Parker teed up Nial Day to slot the 9th and Williams finished off with his brace.

Soldiers Return Reserves lost 3-5 to Team FC.