Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 6th September

  • 08/09/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Amazing Basing kick off

FC Basing, formerly New Inn, now newly promoted to Division 1, kicked off their new season on Sunday with a 3-7 away victory over runners-up Republic of Chineham, taking them straight to the top spot, writes Tony Spencer. Among FC Basing's scorers were two each for Matthew Osborne and Alex Bullen, with singles from Richard Gary and Daniel Belcher.

Last season's Saturday Premier Division champions Basingstoke Royals have transferred to the Sunday section. In their opening match they faced reigning Sunday champions Soldiers Return, an ideal test of where the two sides stand. Spencer Champ opened the scoring for Soldiers Return with a strong header, while Stuart Urquhart equalised for Basingstoke Royals from a corner. Final result a 1-1 draw of credit to each side. It was a good game in which both teams played well and should figure among the leaders at the end of the season.

Basingstoke Saints retained their Division 1 status due to resignations. Their new captain Adam Butler opened their goal account this season with a sweet turn and shot from the edge of the box, after a fine move down the left and cross from Ryan Sawyer. Visitors Oakley bounced back though, with goals from Jack Mckinnon and Samie Aldoori with two goals. Saints almost levelled before half time, but Matt Bonner extended Oakley's lead, the match ending 1-3. Saints took heart from playing well, in a good, fair game by both sides, so hoping to improve on last year's disappointment.

Tron soon found themselves a goal down 0-1, with Joe Osborne opening the scoring for Dayers Fine Foods. Tron levelled on 20 minutes when David Parry headed home from a Richard McCoubrie cross. Tron edged ahead when Siyani Thomas scored on 32 minutes with a header at far post from another cross by McCoubrie. David Parry slotted in on 40 minutes, after latching onto a through ball and rounding the keeper, so it was a comfortable 3-1 margin at half-time. Five minutes into the second half, a Siyani Thomas shot, fired from 18 yards out, was deflected and sent the keeper the wrong way. Finally, on 65 minutes a solo effort from McCoubrie, who completed a 25 yard curler with his right foot. Dayers were overrun for two thirds of the game, which ended 5-1 to Tron.

Wheatsheaf, who played as Lamb Inn last season, found themselves 0-2 down after a Peter Lomax own goal and, just before the break, a 30-yard shot into the top corner of the net from promoted Division 3 champions, FC Everest. Wheatsheaf were back on level terms with two penalties tucked away by Carlos Gonzalez. Alex Lipscombe netted the third to take the home side into the lead and Wheatsheaf completed the comeback with a header from five yards to complete a Gonzalez hat-trick, final score 4-2.

Newcomers to Division 2, Affini Technology beat promoted Team FC 7-2.

Ex-Saturday side Bramley United beat UWS 3-0, with strikes from David Wallace on 25 minutes, Adam Hill on 60 minutes, and Stuart Leddy made the game safe with 15 minutes to go.

Eastrop Eagles only lost one game while winning Division 3 last season but came a cropper against Hampshire Irons, losing their opening Division 2 game 3-0. Stephen Bown scored the first from a wide cross by Sean Searle, Michael Pemberton the second with a solo effort, before Searle rounded off with a goal assisted by Pemberton.

New club Revolution won their opening game 3-0 against North Warnborough. It was an evenly matched game, 1-0 at half time to the hosts. The visitors applied pressure to get back on terms but made a couple of errors to concede two more goals, but took comfort from the defeat that it was a good even game.

Bottom of Division 3 last year with just two victories, AFC Golden Lion, are rebadged as Camrose Social this season, and started off their campaign with a swagger after beating Chineham Athletic 4-1. Tony Pendlebury with a brace, Chris Waller and Aaron Burt netted for Camrose Social, while Steve Hartwell converted a spot kick for Chineham Athletic.

Two reserve sides, Chineham and Soldiers Return, opened their programme in a face off, with the hosts enjoying a 5-2 victory. Robert Stait, Ryan Oates and Tyler Andrews scored singles, and Ellesio Stait a brace for Chineham. Daniel Grimes chalked up both Soldiers Return's replies.

New team North Warnborough Reserves beat new club FC Benidorm of Stoke 4-0. Joseph Hayman netted a perfect hat-trick in the first half, first with his left peg, then his right and finally a header. Taking a 3-0 lead into the second half, which was a much more even contest, with Dean Frost slotting in the last well taken goal for Warnborough.