Back to news

League News

Terrific Tron reach County semis

  • 17/02/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 12th December, By Tony Spencer.

Tron travelled to Southampton for their toughest match of the season so far, to contest the Hampshire Sunday Senior Cup quarter-finals. Chamberlayne Athletic are a big physical outfit, good in the air and intimidating, both the team and supporters, so Tron knew they were in a good, well contested cup tie from start to finish. Tron knuckled down and played football, taking the lead on 25 minutes 0-1 with David Parry burying a shot after James Tennant hit the crossbar, a lead they held until half-time. Shortly after the restart, Chamberlayne were level 1-1. Then Lee Neal started a move down the wing, interplaying with Ross Cook and Jesse Todd before Tennant's shot was parried by the keeper and Lee Neil finished off the move he started by tucking the rebound into the roof of the net to restore the lead on 68 minutes. The hosts levelled again 2-2 with a header. Only 5 minutes from the end Cook's pass to Ross Soper-Dyer was tee'd up for Tennent's left foot drive into the net 2-3. Luke Stickland in goal made two good saves in the last minutes to survive and set up a place in the semi-finals.
Overton United progressed to the semi-finals of the Hampshire Sunday Junior B Cup with a 1-5 victory at Testcombe Athletic. Overton's goals from Josh Dickins, Jack Rawlings, Nuno Franco, Scott Winterbourne and Yakhouba Kaba.
Another local side through to a cup semi-final is Bramley United, who beat Locomotiv Eastleigh 6-2 in the North Hants Chris Price Cup. Bramley United took a 2-0 first-half lead through Stuart Leddy and Adam Bartlett. Second half goals came fromTim Barnett, Leddy's second, Dean Ridgers from the penalty spot, and Colin Bell. Bramley conceded two penalties, although saved one, the second goal from a one-on-one with the keeper.
In the other quarter-final, UWS were 2-0 down at half-time to Owslebury, and only pulled a goal back 2 minutes from the end. While pressing for an equaliser, Owslebury broke away and scored the clincher in the last minute, UWS losing 3-1.
The last of the four local sides reaching semi-finals is Team FC, who won their North Hants John Ward Cup quarter-final tie 2-1 at home to Hedge End Tigers. Team found themselves 0-1 down after 10 minutes, but Luke Chatee came close to level with a shot at the top right corner of the net, but saved. Team dominated the game, having 20 shots on target, but the visiting defence didn't fold until the 83rd minute. Joe Richardson nutmegged the ball to substitute Luke Richardson, who buried his equaliser in the top right hand corner of the net. Then Ryan Stephens grabbed the winner with an effort into the bottom left corner, 2-1.
Neither Soldiers Return or Husaria had a Division 1 win to their credit this season and between them produced a close tussle on a difficult pitch. Pawel Derbot Put Husaria ahead after 10 minutes, but Soldiers levelled with a Liam Doran goal, 1-1 at half-time. Early in the second half Dorian got a second, Soldiers ahead 2-1. Again Husaria levelled with a second Derbot goal. Alex Izzo edged Soldiers ahead 3-2, before Mateusz Kubacki made it 3-3 from a corner. Husaria felt they deserved to draw the game, especially after Andrew Darmody replaced the Soldiers keeper in goal, but with 2 minutes to go, Fred Cloke netted a header from a corner to collect their first win in the league.
Another side without a win, Basingstoke Saints in Division 2, faced Chineham on Sunday and took a 0-1 lead after Josh Jarrett crossed from the right and Dom Proctor scored. Kieron Alleyne scored to peg Chineham back on level terms. Saints' Neil Woodward set up Jarrett to slot past the keeper, so with 6 minutes to go Basingstoke Saints were 1-2 up having played well and had lots of positives to glean from the game. However, Chineham scored twice late on to ruin the visitors' party, through Alleyne's second and a goal from Jamie Dockree, Chineham 3-2 Basingstoke Saints.
Eastrop Eagles beat AFC Soldiers 4-1 thanks to a Keith Davies hat-trick, and Lee Cook. Davies' first goal came from the edge of the box, set up by Jon Peart, his second a header from a corner kick by Kirk Smith and Jamie O’Grady's shot cleared off the line for Davies to finish, the third from a penalty. Lee Cook's strike was set up by Paul Adams after a good build up. AFC Soldiers' goal came from a Taylor Watts' penalty.
In Division 3, Soldiers Return Reserves were beaten 2-4 by Chineham Reserves, despite strikes from Matt Kelly and Reece Medford. Chineham's goals from Joe Marsh, Lee Sappleton, and brace by Tyler Andrews.