Back to news

League News

Tron too strong

  • 08/09/16
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 4th September, By Tony Spencer.

New Division 1 side Husaria took a fifth minutes lead against Tron, after a long ball was finished well by Pawel Derbot. It took the hosts 25 minutes to draw level, David Parry making a run up the right wing, then cutting inside before firing an unstoppable shot across goal from 20 yards. Once Tron were back in the game, Parry chalked up his second three minutes later from a deflected free kick. The floodgates opened, with Nathan Rae on the left hand side running around three players to net, then James Tennant scored from an overhead kick off the post. Just before the interval, Tennant struck again to make the game safe 5-1. Substitute Ross Cook managed a brace in the second half, put though by Darren Hutchins for both; the second Cook headed into the top corner from 30 yards. Final score, Tron 7 Husaria 1.

Republic of Chineham beat FC Basing 2-1 after a well fought game, Wayne Finn and Alex Pickering scored for the hosts, while Stephen Bean replied for Basing.

An entertaining Division 2 match ended 3-6 between Basingstoke Saints v Chineham, the result virtually settled by three good first-half strikes by the visitors, with the sides on 2-5 at half-time. Saints started off, clearly still suffering from licking last season's wounds, but improved their performance as the game wore on. Dan Green, Adam Butler and James Brown scored for Saints, Dan Greenwood and Shane West replied with braces, James Harvey and Matt Kempson with singles.

Goalless at the break, Eastrop Eagles were undone in the second half, beaten 0-3 by Hampshire Irons. Rob Mead opened the account with a looping header, capitalising on a keeper error, followed by tap-ins from substitute Jack Rickard and Michael Permberton.

North Warnborough's opening game was a memorable see-saw match decorated with a first-half hat-trick from last season's keeper, Joe Pantony, filling in up front. Visitors Bramley United scored first, Colin Bell finding the net after five minutes. The lead only lasted five minutes before Pantony levelled. Neil Armstrong restored Bramley's lead, which Pantony swiftly matched. Almost immediately from the kick off Stuart Leddy made it 2-3 with a ricochet off the post, before Pantony levelled by completing his hat trick by half-time. Colin Bell settled matters with his second, the only second-half goal, final score 3-4 to Chineham.

The first half belonged to UWS, with a 2-0 half-time lead, thanks to goals from Darren Head and Nathan Glasgow. However, visitors AFC Soldiers finished with an own goal and Harry Tuffs' strike to earn a 2-2 draw.

North Warnborough Reserves opened their Division 3 campaign with 0-6 victory at newcomers Rising Sun, the opening goals from breakaways by Tom Davies and Jack McKee. On the half-hour mark Davies buried a third. In the second half McKee completed his brace and youngster Nial Day made it 0-5 before a breakaway run around several players for Day to get his second.

Despite an Adam Robinson brace and Chris Waller strike, Camrose Social lost their opener 3-4 against a resurrected RAF Odiham Blades. Mike Castor with two, Simon Newman and James Hindmarsh edged the result for the visitors.

Chineham Athletic beat Chineham Reserves 4-2, with James Bucklands and Michael Davis netting consolation goals.

DG Athletic were overrun 13-2 at Team FC, with Liam Rump and Aaron Morris reducing the margin.

Soldiers Return Reserves won 0-1 at Overton United.