Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 12th April

  • 14/04/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

FC Everest achieve fresh heights

FC Everest had a busy week of it in Division 2, writes Tony Spencer. On Sunday the fifth they visited Hampshire Irons and emerged triumphant 1-6. On the Tuesday the seventh they faced stiffer opposition in near rivals UWS, winning 1-2. However, FC Everest were once more imperious at Newfound on Thursday the ninth, seeing off Oakley Reserves 0-7. FC Everest secured the Division 2 championship with a 3-0 win against their closest rivals New Inn.

North Warnborough Two and Chineham battled it out for a 0-0 draw in a mundane mid-table end of season game, with only a few chances created by either team, although both sides hit the woodwork without scoring. Chineham are finishing their season in fine form, though, unbeaten in four games.

UWS beat Oakley Reserves 3-1, their third win against Oakley this season.

In Division 1 Dayers Fine Foods lost 1-7 against a powerful Tron side. Dave Parry scored a hat-trick, Cianni Thomas knocked in a brace, with Jesse Todd and Michael Moray rounding off the result with singles, in a high-scoring league double over Dayers.

Lamb Inn and Oakley cancelled each other out, when their match ended in a 1-1 draw. Lamb Inn remain unbeaten in three games.

Soldiers Return beat Basingstoke Saints in a match that the visitors thought was a harsh result, after falling behind to a brace of set piece goals and a controversial penalty. Andy Darracott scored to put Saints back in the game and the pressure applied brought about a couple of saves from the home keeper before a big punt upfield ended the revival. Soldiers Return had taken the lead after 15 minutes, with a powerful header from Freddie Cloke on the end of a long throw. Alex Izzo made it 2-0 by half-time. In the second half James Hill was brought down in the box and Cloke crisply put the ball away from the spot for his brace. Following Saints' goal and period of pressure, Izzo broke away on a long throw and delicately touched the ball past the keeper to make the game safe, completing his own brace.

In Division 3 Eastrop Eagles travelled to Chineham Reserves and secured the title with a 0-1 win.

Team FC stretched their unbeaten run to six games with a 7-0 victory over Chineham Athletic, ending their run of three away wins. Team FC secured runners-up spot.

Soldiers Return Reserves and AFC Golden Lion enjoyed a closely-contested match throughout, after a goalless first half with few chances created. AFC took the lead with a well-worked goal from the edge of the area, Aaron Burt's shot going in off the post. It took a mêlée in front of goal before Soldiers equalised with a James Boshier strike, which is how the match ended, a 1-1 draw. A fair result all round.