Back to news

League News

Match Reports from Sunday 22nd February

  • 24/02/15
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Tron Oust FC From Central Stage

Tron earned their place in the North Hants Senior Cup Final with a 4-2 win over FC Central on Sunday, writes Tony Spencer. Ross Cook proved a handful for the visitors' defence, firing in a hat-trick, with Dave Parry's single strike adding to Central's woes. Tron face Arms Athletic in the Final at New Street Andover on 22 March, kick off 2.30pm.

Despite a close-fought tie in the North Hants John Ward Cup quarter-final, DG Athletic lost 5-0 away at Rotherwick, whose scorers were Ben Squibb, Chris Sawkins with a brace, a screamer from Kristian Tolbot, and a single by James Neil.

Soldiers Return enjoyed their Division 1 trip to Lamb Inn, forging ahead with two goals from Andrew Butler before Lamb pulled one back to 1-2, but Ellis Hauman restored the two-goal cushion, making it 1-3 by half-time. In the second half Soldiers Return pressed their advantage with Alex Izzo and Jamie Gulpin adding single strikes and Butler completing a fine hat-trick, result 1-6. Adequate revenge for two earlier defeats in cup and league and this game their third win on the trot.

The match between South View and Dayers Fine Foods had 'scoreless draw' written all over it until late in the game, when Alex Brown fired in a wicked long shot from distance, settling the result 0-1 for Dayers, payback for an earlier defeat between the sides. Dayers would concede that the victory seemed unlikely until South View's keeper Sean O'Brien had been forced to give up the green jersey, suffering with concussion, with about 20 minutes to go. Not only was this Dayers Fine Foods' first away win of the season, it was their first victory in a string of seven unlucky games.

In Division 2, Chineham lost at home 2-5, conceding a league double to UWS. Finley Thompson and Kieron Alleyne netted for Chineham, while Lee Head, with a single strike, and four goals from hotshot Stewart Jarvis did the damage for UWS.

Hampshire Irons won a close-fought tussle 5-4 against New Inn, giving them their first win in nine matches, especially satisfying as New Inn had won both their previous encounters. This was New Inn's first defeat in nine matches.

Oakley Reserves narrowly beat RAF Odiham Blades 4-3, their first win in five games and a welcome league double over their fellow strugglers.

Only one game was played in Division 3, between undefeated home side Team FC and visitors Soldiers Return Reserves, who had lost both previous encounters at the hands of their hosts. In a closely-contested game throughout, Mickie Thomas put Team 1-0 ahead midway through the first half, which remained the scoreline at the turnaround. In the first minute of the second half, however, Joe Allnutt equalised 1-1 for the visitors. The hosts pressed to regain the lead and keep their championship hopes alive, but Soldiers Return Reserves scored on the break with a goal from Lewis Judd before Shane Brewer saw the keeper way off his line and secured all three points with a lob from 30 yards five minutes from the end, result 1-3. The only sour note to spoil this sweet victory, Jamie Buckland was carried off injured 30 seconds from the end after a horrific tackle. This resulted in a red card being produced for the impulsive Team player responsible. So, this was a first home defeat for Team, and revenge for in-form Soldiers Return Reserves.