Back to news

League News

Tron topple Trants

  • 11/10/16
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District Sunday League Match Reports from Sunday 9th October, By Tony Spencer.

In the first round of the Hampshire Sunday Senior Cup, Tron found themselves a goal down to visitors Trants at half-time. It wasn't until the 68th minute that Tron got back on level terms, when Michael Allison netted from a corner. Tron had to wait until 11 minutes from the end for their worthy winner, when 16-year-old substitute Harry Cook scored a superb individual goal after rounding two players and side-footing past the keeper into the top corner of the net. This was Tron's third win in three matches this season.

In the North Hants Senior Cup, new club Husaria took on Whitenap, finding themselves a goal down. The hosts equalised, but every time they levelled, they fell behind again. Husaria were 3-3 and holding on for extra time when, in injury time, Arkadiusz Beszterda chalked up the winner, the club's first ever win, 4-3. Husaria's other goals from Marcin Momot and Lukasz Wrzos.

In Division 1 Jack Hulbert netted a brace for FC Basing but they still succumbed 2-3 against Affini Technology. The visitors took the lead through Matt Bennett 0-1, before Hulbert struck twice for 2-1, but James Jupp levelled 2-2, before Alex Jupp fired in the winner for 2-3. Affini are finding life in Division 1 interesting, still undefeated in the league three games in.

Last year's champions and runners-up met in the league, each hoping to chalk up their first win. Soldiers Return were the better team in first half and Dave Hill gave them a 1-0 half-time lead against Oakley Club de Futbol Albion. Sean O’Brien had a great game in goal for Oakley and kept the visitors in the match, providing a platform for Jack MacKinnon to set up Cian Condon for the equaliser, before Dan Bloma scored to edge Oakley ahead. However, three minutes from the end, Hill was brought down in the box and Kevin Cooper levelled 2-2 from the spot, leaving both teams seeking their first win.

Jamie Dockree fired in four goals and Shane West a brace as Chineham enjoy their best-ever start, leading Division 2 by a margin of three points, with six wins out of six. Home side UWS reduced the margin to 3-6 with strikes from James Tarrant, Tyler Shayler and Chris Rowe, but are still seeking their first victory with only a point in the bag so far.

Basingstoke Saints look an early lead against visitors Hampshire Irons, with a turn and shot by James Brown. The two sides, although at opposite ends of the table, were evenly matched and Irons equalised with a shot off the underside of the crossbar. Then a handball in the area handed a penalty kick to Saints, with captain Adam Butler burying his strike in the bottom right-hand corner to take a 2-1 lead. Terry Lock created an equaliser for 2-2 and it looked like the game was heading for a draw at the end of a tense second half, particularly after the Referee missed a possible penalty opportunity with another handball in the Irons' box. As Saints' luck would have it, three minutes into injury time, Tom Chant put Irons ahead 2-3, then in the 94th minute Mike Pemberton made it 2-4 to Irons with only a minute of added time left. This was Irons' fifth win this season, the only defeat against Chineham.

Eastrop Eagles failed to score for the third match this season, going down 0-2 against Bramley United, who have won three out of three away games but lost both times as hosts. Colin Bell scored the first from a volley, on the end of a Stuart Leddy cross, after 15 minutes. On 40 minutes, a long goal kick was flicked on by Nick Harris to Leddy who made it 0-2.

RAF Odiham Blades remain the top of Division 3 after a narrow 1-2 win at Chineham Reserves. David Williamson scored the hosts' consolation, with Colin Walker and Lewis Sanders netting for the Blades.

Unbeaten Team FC took on the 100% winning Soldiers Return Reserves, and fashioned an early 1-0 lead thanks to Mitch Taylor. However, conceding two quick goals 1-2, caused Team's heads to drop and by half-time were 1-5 behind. Luke Chatee and Luke Richardson restored home pride to close the gap to 3-5, but Soldiers had the last say to win 3-6, maintaining their pristine start to the season.

Camrose Social beat North Warnborough Reserves 2-0 with Ian Jones opening the hosts' account, followed by a clean shot from Matt Foreman.

Bottom side Rising Sun notched up their first win with a 4-3 win over DG Athletic, so the clubs swapped last and penultimate places.