Back to news

League News

Both Boros win away cup rounds

  • 11/10/17
  • By Tony Spencer
Football image

Basingstoke & District League Match Reports from Sunday 8th October, By Tony Spencer.

North Warnborough travelled to Timsbury in the Test Valley near Romsey, for a Hampshire Sunday Senior Cup against Bishops United. The visitors scored first, Alex Jeffers passing to Tom Jourdan to bury it 0-1. After the hosts equalised 1-1, Richard Hughes restored the lead following Jeffers’ cross, 1-2 at half-time. A run by Sean Delfosse doubled the lead but Bishops pegged back to 2-3. Three quick goals from Jeffers hat trick made it 2-6, before a Delfosse solo effort gave a final score of 2-7.
Colin Bell scored early for Bramley United, but Ben Evans leveled for visitors Eastrop Eagles, although Stuart Leddy restored the hosts’ 2-1 interval lead. Darren McWilliam made it 3-1 before Bobbi Frost scored from Wes Bush’s corner. Bramley held on to win 3-2.
Oakley started well against Pharmasol Ayrtons, keeping possession nicely and after 10 minutes went 1-0 up after Samie Aldoori headed home a deep cross from Jim Wheeler. Pharmasol showed some fight with several efforts but great defending, and goalkeeping from Sean O’Brien, kept them at bay. Five minutes before half time Oakley added another with Samie Aldoori right-foot volley from close range following a deep cross by Laith Aldoori. Following half time, Oakley added a third with a great combination between Jamie Ebsworth and Cian Condon leading to a neat finish from Cian. Oakley added a fourth with Samie Aldoori completing his hat-trick with a left-footed flick after a great ball from Jamie Smith. A good performance from Oakley.
AFC Soldiers had a walkover as Tradesman's Arms withdrew.
Basingstoke Saints entertained Vernham Dean in the Hampshire Sunday Junior A Cup, with Scott Bootes opening their account from a corner. Saints dominated going forward and Bootes’ header at the back post 2-0, although Vernham Dean reduced the lead to 2-1 by the break. Bootes crossed from the left and Liam James rifled shot made it 3-1. The visitors struck back, but the game ended 3-2.
Five minutes into North Warnborough Reserves’ tie at Whiteley, Nial Day gave Boro the only score of the half. The hosts leveled from a free kick 20 minutes into the half. Manager Trevor Rogers put himself on as sub and set up Day to restore the lead, then just before end the pair combined to complete Day’s hat-trick for a 1-3 win.
Team started off their Bernard Cornish Cup Prelim tie against Camrose Social on the front foot, dominating the game for the first 20 minutes. Hewett produced a fine overhead effort, easily caught by the Camrose keeper. The pressure paid off as Stu Urquhart jumped highest to meet a delightful ball from McKenzie, the thumping header gave the keeper no chance. After a foul just outside the Team FC’s box, Craig Atkinson converted his free kick, the tame effort through the keeper’s hands to level 1-1 at half-time. Team FC came out battling in the second half with centre-backs Bugden and Urquhart winning everything in the air and MOM McKenzie tormenting the Camrose midfield. Team broke through again with a magnificent header from Urquhart netting his third of the season from a McKenzie corner. Birthday boy Joe Richardson then raced through from a neat Vickery ball, winning a one-on-one with the keeper to smack home from three yards. Adam Everiss finished off a fine display, slotting his half-volley into the bottom right corner for 4-1 victory for Team FC.
Hampshire Irons started their Division 1 clash against Chineham well, Mike Pemberton’s corner headed out to James Harvey who picked out Chris Morris to fire home. Chineham leveled 1-1 but Jack Waldon made it 2-1 at half-time. In the second half Waldron set up James Macintosh to head Irons ahead. Chineham pulled one back but lost 3-2, goals from Kieran Alleyne and Ben Saunders.
Soldiers Return suffered their first defeat 1-3 to Republic of Chineham, after going 0-2 down, Fred Cloke pulled one back with a good finish 1-2 but a soft penalty 10 minutes later meant no coming back from 1-3 down. Republic’s goals, two from Charlie Hart and a Ben Nichlls penalty.
UWS were on top in their Division 2 match at Chineham Reserves, Ryan Upton giving them a half-time lead after 20 minutes. Craig Short won a penalty converted by James Foreman, then a team goal finished off by Foreman made it 0-3. Scott Berry pulled one back in the last 15, but ended 1-3.
Kempshott took an early lead through Jamie Hope before Chineham Athletic levelled the score. Kempshott then went on to get five goals before half time with Hope getting 4 in the first half and Ryan Wilkins adding one 5-1 for at the interval. In the second half the game slowed down, Kempshott scored twice, Chris Bode from a corner and another from Wilkins. Chineham pulled a goal back before Kempshott finished them off with a final goal from sub Ryan Murray for an 8-2 win.