Back to news

League News

Match reports 09/03/08

  • 24/03/08
Football image

Match reports 09/03/08

Sunday League Report ? 09/03/08

In the B division The Bridge kept up the pressure on the top two as they came from a goal down to claim a 7-2 win over basement club Red Hackle. The Bridge didn?t turn up in the first half and went 1-0 down courtesy of a penalty scored by Darren Sewell. They did however manage an equaliser just before half time thanks to a cute lob from Kris Moore. The Bridge then burst into life after the interval with a 20yard screamer from Philip Ormonde, a second from Moore and a solo effort from Carl Drew putting them into a comfortable 4-1 lead. Stephen Howes then got in on the act with a lethal finish from 2 yards, before substitute Kris Byrne made it 6-1. Red Hackle pulled one back through Adam McErlane before Star Man Kris Moore sealed his hat trick to make it 7-2.

In the A division league cup semi final Vets Reunited bossed the first hour of the game against Simonside SC as they held a comfortable 2-0 lead given to them by Gavin Robinson and Jonathan Daniels. The last half an hour of the game saw an amazing change in fortunes as Vets seemed to panic as Simonside piled on the pressure. Sima reduced the arrears with a goal from Mark Smith, and although they continued to batter the Vets goal they couldn?t find an equalizer as Vets held out to reach the final.

The final itself should be a good game as two of the top three teams in the league will contest it as Hebburn Iona will be the opposition after their 3-1 win over Caledonian Athletic. Iona?s goals came from Colin McGee, James Bellingham and Joe McCaffery. The prolific Tony Tatum replied for Caledonian Athletic.

On the league front, Ship increased their lead at the top with a narrow 3-2 victory over Top Club. Top Club are a team who can give anyone a game if they are up for it and they pushed Ship all the way in this one. Steve Elstob and sub Andrew Dunn scored for Club, but goals from Nick Quinn, John Taylor and star man Ian Kinlato saw the leaders home.

Ellison FC missed the chance to go second after a scrappy game against Boldon FC. Boldon struck first when a goalkeeping error gifted Stephen Menzies a goal. Ellison battled hard for the equalizer and were finally rewarded when Dave Leonard scored with a fine solo effort. Both teams tried hard for a winner but no further goals ensued as the game finished 1-1.

In the Premier, Lees Cleaning were once again up against it, as they turned up with the bare 11 men which did not include a recognized keeper. In Marsden CW they came up against a side who were on their game on the day and very keen to take revenge for a surprise cup exit to Lees in January. Although Lees battled hard throughout the 90 minutes they were never in with a chance as Marsden ran out 10-0 winners with strikers Paul Tomlin and Graeme Wilkinson helping themselves to a hat trick apiece, Dan Nixon getting two goals and Chris Pounder and Richy Harrison completing the scoring.

Nook Utd will be very disappointed with their performance against Boldon Shack. The Boldon lads quite simply outplayed Nook in every department as they strolled to a comfortable 2-0 victory with goals from Kris Robertson and Mark Johnson.