Back to news

League News

Match Reports 09/09/07

  • 19/09/07
Football image

All the Match reports that were passed to the Gazzette

Luckless Lees Cleaning met a determined Boldon Shack who had something to prove after last weeks defeat to Whiteleas. Lees started brightly but again were punished for basic defensive errors as Shaun Edwards and then Andy Hall put Shack two up. Lees seem to be struggling to turn out a side this season with even 50 year old secretary Dave Musgrove having to done his boots in the cause, still they battled hard and played some decent football at times. However Shack showed why they are the current champions and their fast counter attacking produce five further goals from Shaun Edwards (3) taking his personal total to four, Wayne Phillips and Gary Evans also got their names on the score sheet to make it 7-0 to the Shack.

Still in the Premier Nook Utd took on Elmfield in what turned out to be a very tight affair with both defences in excellent form. The match was decided with just three minutes remaining when substitute James Booth slid a slide rule pass through the heart of the Elmfield defence for Mick Armstrong to slam home off the post to give Nook a 1-0 victory.

Caledonian Athletic have had an indifferent start this season, so a victory versus an, as ever, determined Top Club was more than welcome. The Cally had the better of the opening exchange but it was Top Club who took the lead after 5 minutes with a fine Nick Watson header after some sloppy defending. The Cally soon got back on level terms after a cross-come-shot from veteran Mick Averill eluded Top Club keeper Gareth Johnson. This was soon followed up with a good finish just inside the box from Captain Stu McLean to put The Cally 2-1 up at half time.
An entertaining 2nd half began with Top Club leveling with a John Grundy cross sneaking its way past The Cally rearguard at the near post. Some good work on the right wing by Tony Tatum produced a cross that was spilled by an otherwise excellent Johnson in the Top Club goal, Micky Averill capitalising to net his 2nd of the game to make it 3-2. Stu McLean was unlucky to only be awarded a free kick when his driving run from midfield was cut short by a foul that appeared to be inside the box. There then followed 2 penalties in the final 10 minutes, the 1st converted with aplomb by John Grundy for the Top Club to make it 3-3, the 2nd for The Cally that was won by Chris Scott, who took the kick himself, only to see his strike hit the post. It appeared the game would end in a draw, until, in the final moments The Cally sub Karl Mason picked out a
David Kelly run into the box, and the ball was pulled back for MOM Mick Averill to complete his hat-trick and win the game 4-3.

If its goals you want to see then the Robin Hood are the team to watch with no less than 37 goals featured so far in the four games they have played in. The game against Mariner, finishing 6-4 to the Robin.
Mark (Macca) McShane reaching ten goals already for the season with another three goals, Steve Hunt, Aaron Todd and Phil Burns also getting on the score sheet and Gavin Matthews getting two, Mick McCarthy and Lee Thompson for Mariner. Paul Clinton starring for the Mariner and Micky Urwin for the Robin Hood.

Boldon FC and Prince of Wales Perth Green shared the spills in a 1-1 draw at Chuter Ede. Both teams have aspirations to be there or thereabouts at the top of the A division come the end of the season and based on this display it is certainly a possibility. Both sides had their share of procession without really hurting the others defences. It was from a throw in that Perth Green took the lead, as Scott Mason?s throw bounced over several players and Paul Brown was first to react as he beat Boldon Keeper Alan Greenan from an acute angle. Boldon had chances to level, but poor final balls and taking the wrong option meant Perth Green led 1- 0 at the break. In the second half Boldon became more dominant and deservedly leveled, albeit a route one affair, as keeper Greenans long punt deceived the Perth Green defence and the alert Shaun Carroll pounced to lob a stranded Jack Wells in the Perth Green goal.