Back to news

League News

Match reports 25/11/07

  • 28/11/07
Football image

Match reports submitted to the Gazzette

Sunday League Report ? 25/11/07

In the B division cup an eleven-goal thriller saw Riverside come out on top against Marsden Inn Strollers. There was no hint of the excitement to come in the early stages as Riverside took command and established a four-goal lead with strikes from Jamie Ellwood, Sean Flood, Stephen Gibson and James Hedley. However before the break Chris Franom pulled one back for Marsden Inn. The goal and the subsequent half time talk had the desired affect for Strollers as they scored four times without reply strikes from Ian Cross and a further three goals from Chris Franom saw them take a 5-4 lead. It was though to be Riversides day as two very late goals from Shaun Clements and Mark Harrison saw them through to the next round with an incredible 6-5 score line.

Ellison SC got back to winning ways with a 6-2 victory over the Jolly Steward.
Ellison dominated the first half and were four goals up after 35 minutes. Gordon Williams gave them the lead with a stunner, Stuart Lane then added a second after rounding the keeper to score easily. An injury to winger John Turner allowed Craig Snowball to get in on the act who was coming back from injury himself, Snowball wasted no time netting twice in two minutes after his arrival. Rob Caizley pulled one back for the Jolly right on half time and the same player added a second soon after the break to give the Jolly some hope. With Jolly now pressing hard it took a great save from Andy Fagen Ellison stand in keeper to deny Caizley his hat trick. Liam Garthwaite then added a 5th for Ellison and with the last kick of the game super sub Snowball completed his hat trick.

Whiteleas fine run came to an end as they crashed out of the Premier league cup in a very tight game with Boldon Shack. Dan Carson gave Shack the lead, which they held on to for much of the game, however Adam Carr came off the Whiteleas bench to score and take the game into extra time. The tie was settled in extra time by another substitute, Shawn Edwards getting a late winner for Boldon Shack.