Back to news

League News

Match reports 16/03/08

  • 24/03/08
Football image

Match reports 16/03/08

Sunday League Report ? 16/03/08

Last Sunday saw the semi finals of the Alex Woodcock cup take place and in the first game Vets Reunited produced arguably the best performance of the season with a 3-2 victory over a very strong Voyager team. The first half was evenly contested but it was Voyager who found the net twice to take a 2-0 half time lead with strikes from Finbar Lynch and Lee O?Donavan. At the start of the second half Lee O?Donovan found himself with a one on one with Vets keeper, but his effort scraped the wrong side of the post, had he scored then Vets would have found it very difficult to come back from a three goal deficit. Credit to Vets though and they pulled one back with a fine header from Tony Renwick. Kenny Elliott then produced a fine finish to bring Vets level and finally Steve Van Es grabbed the winner for a fully deserved victory.

Vets will be taking on Boldon Shack in the final, which takes place on April 20th at Harton Welfare. Boldon Shack made it through to the final with a 2-0 victory over a Whiteleas side who will be very disappointed to lose a semi final for a second consecutive week. The game was settled in the first half as Whiteleas made and failed to take two very good chances, whereas Shack scored both the chances they made with good strikes from Phil Shakespeare and Mark Robinson. Whiteleas by their own admission failed to threaten in the second half and Boldon went through to the final with a comfortable win.

On the league front Brighams met Lees Cleaning and probably thought they were in for an easy day after Lees 10-0 thrashing last week against Marsden CW. However they soon found out that wasn?t to be the case as Lees raced into a four goal lead thanks to a brilliant first half hat trick from Dan Sherliker and another form Graeme Tiffin. Brighams pulled one back on the stroke of half time through Stephen Judd. Brighams then started the second half as though they meant business and had Lees worried as they pulled it back to 3-4 with goals from Paul Burrell and Michael Meek. However, Lees had the man to settle their nerves in Dan Sherliker who scored his fourth to make it 5-3. Lees then added a further two goals from Jason Armstrong and an o.g. to make the final score 7-3.

In the A division, Ellison came out on top with a 3-1 victory over Grey Hen. In a physical game it was Ellison who took the lead with a great solo effort from Dave Younger. Robbie Allan then added a second before the break. In the second half Ellison old boy David Foster pulled one back with scorcher for the Grey Hen but a glancing header from Johnny Turner made it 3 1 to Ellison to ensure they picked up all three points.

Top Club started confidently against Boldon FC and went into a two goal lead with strikes from Nick Watson and Steve Sayers. Top Club then seemed to switch off and this allowed Boldon back into it and they drew level with goals from Stuart Darville and sub Lee Dixon. Top Club finally raised their game in the last 15 minutes and took the points as Nick Watson got his second and John Grundy completed the scoring.

A top of the table B division clash saw Bridge take on Mariner Allstars, in a good game it was Bridge who took the early upper hand leading marksman Phillip Ormonde putting the Bridge ahead and then showed exquisite skill to set up a tap in for Kris Moore.Allstars were then denied by an excellent Scott Harding save as Bridge held on to their two goal lead at the interval. In the second half Allstars showed great determination and within two minutes pulled a goal back through Jonny Henry, and then only a brilliant goal line clearance from inspirational skipper Paul Cook denied them the equaliser. A scrambled goal from a corner prodded home by Chris Bowley saw Allstars finally draw level. However they undid all their hard work when a defensive slip allowed Stephen Howes to give Bridge the lead again. With five minutes remaining the Bridge clinched victory with the goal of the game as Arie Van Der Lang hit a rasping shot into the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

It was a Hi 5 for The Robin Hood as players met their former team mates. The Robin Hood ran out worthy winners 5-1 in the local derby against The Red Hackle, with no less than nine players playing against their former team mates there was certainly not only the three points at stake but pride and bragging rights. The result showing that the Robin certainly has benefited the most from the transfer activity between the two teams. On the mark for Robin Hood were Dave Smith (2), Steve Stephenson, Aaron Todd and Johnny Matthews. Daniel Keith replied for Red Hackle.