Back to news

League News

Match reports 20/01/08

  • 06/02/08
Football image

Match reports 20/01/08

Sunday League Report ? 20/01/08

Lees Cleaning without a win all season produced arguably the performance of the day when they overcame Marsden CW 4-2 in the Sandford Goudie cup. Manager Dave Musgrove has valiantly tried to bring in new players to his depleted squad all season and his three new signings delivered the goods at last, against a very good Marsden side. Marsden got off to a flyer when after 10 minutes the ball fell kindly to Paul Tomlin who made no mistake from 10 yards. However Lees got a response immediately when new signing Dan Sherliker equalized within minutes. This gave Lees confidence and they played some very good football and went ahead when another new signing Gary Beadling slotted home. Lees Keeper Andy Wilkinson kept his team ahead with two fine saves but was helpless when Marsden were awarded a penalty and Simon Mackey made no mistake from the spot. Lees continued to have the better of the play in the second half and were rewarded when Anthony Kippax put them ahead with a fine header. Marsden pressed hard for an equalizer and were unfortunate when a late effort came back off the post, but it was Lees day and the game was wrapped up when Dan Sherliker scored a stunning goal, his second and Lees fourth.

An amazing Sandford Goudie cup game between Ellison SC and Top Club saw Ellison go out 4-3 on penalties. A hat trick from Stuart Lane and further goals from Peter Leathead and Gary Taylor for Ellison were countered by a hat trick for Darren Elstob plus goals from Nick Watson and John Grundy for Top Club leaving the sides locked at 5-5 with only 4 minutes to go in extra time. It looked therefore when new boy Rob Allen scored he had won it for Ellison but Glen Chapman had other ideas and his last minute equalizer took the game to penalties which Top Club subsequently won.

Ship currently top the A division and they found out what next season could be like, should they get promotion, when they came up against Nook Utd in the Sandford Goudie cup. A pulsating cup-tie ensued in which no quarter was asked or given and every ball was contested fairly. The deadlock was broken in the 30th minute when a Steven Graham pile driver found the top corner of the net to put Nook ahead. The second half saw much of the same until Mick Armstrong volleyed home through a crowded penalty area to put Nook two up. It could have been three but Nathan Wright saved brilliantly from an Armstrong penalty.

On the league front Whiteleas increased their lead at the top with a comfortable 6-1 victory over Pac Builders. Whiteleas dominated from the start and were two up at the interval with goals from Adam Carr and Steven Edmond. Builders came out fighting in the second half but Leas soon regained the upper hand to score four more times as Edmond completed his hat trick and further goals were added by Simon Traynor and sub James Roberts. Paul Hobson got a late consolation goal for Pac Builders.

In the A division JML Rafters took on Jolly Steward in a ten goal thriller. Jolly were looking comfortable in the first half as they took a two goal lead with strikes from Michael Davison and Karl Kennedy, however a defensive slip let in Stephen Foster to bring JML back into it. JML started the second half well and it was no surprise when Stephen Foster brought them level. It was then Jolly Stewards turn to get the upper hand and they raced into a 5-2 lead with goals from Rob Caizley, Mike Ord and Lee Dickens. JML fought back and reduced the arrears to 5-4 with another two strikes from Stephen Foster to bring his total to four in the match. However Lee Dickens sealed a 6-4 win for Jolly Steward as his free kick found the top corner.