Back to news

League News


  • 22/02/09
Football image

Robertsons Scaffolding v Jarrow Ellison Alex Woodcock Quarter Final

With an 18 man squad to choose from, Robertsons put out a very strong team which left some match winning players very disappointed with just a place on the bench, Robertsons starting strongly and had Ellison under pressure from the first whistle with the wide midfielders Jonny Matthews and callum wade and the forwards Christie Elliott and stevie Stephenson causing trouble and getting in behind the defence but getting held up by the bobbly pitch or some last ditch tackling from the Ellison back four but they could not stop Robertsons goal when stevie Stephenson was put through and he raced clear of the Ellison back four to square the ball to Jonny Matthews who finished it coolly.

Ellison rarely tested Robertsons keeper in the 1st half as they were kept out by some great defending by the back four, the score stayed at 1-0 until half time. Ellison looked a different team in the 2nd half and started well forcing Ryan Docherty into action with some good saves but after another long ball from Ellison into the Robertsons penalty area the ball was knocked down to an Ellison forward who drilled a unstoppable shot into the far corner, this lifted Ellison and they pressed for another goal but couldn?t find a way through Robertson?s back four or goalkeeper. Robertsons pressed for goals themselves and were unlucky on a few occasions with the Ellison keeper making some great saves. Robertsons players wasted a few chances to pass to better placed players in the box who could have finished the game off.

Robertsons lost Stevie Stephenson and Chrissy Sinclair in the 2nd half with injuries and replaced them with quality players in Aaron Todd and Declan Tilson which caused a few moans and groans among the unused players but the decision was taking and both players fresh legs made a difference, the game ended in a draw so extra time was needed.

The Robertson players knew that Ellison had nothing left in extra time and looked like a team playing for penalties. Robertsons pressed during the 1st and 2nd half of extra time but got no reward so the game went to penalties. Robertsons players all wanted to take a penalty and it was a hard decision sorting out the 1st 5 penalty takers,
1. Aaron Todd took the 1st spot kick and coolly stroked it to the keepers right
2. Ryan Docherty saved
3 Christie Elliott put his spot kick to the keepers left to make it 2-0
4. Ellison scored with a great taken penalty
5.Micky Urwin dispatched his penalty high and hard to the keepers right
6.Ellison penalty was again saved by Ryan Docherty
7. Jonny Matthews scored his penalty hard and low to the keepers right to give Robertson a 4-1 victory on penalties.

Robertsons played about 30% of their potential today and could not get their passing game going but this was probably down to the windy conditions and state of the pitch but its the result that counts and Robertsons have a great test ahead of them in playing Boldon Shack in the semi final + GET WELL SOON STEVE DEAN FROM ALL THE LADS.