Back to news

League News

Match reports - 23/03/08

  • 10/04/08
Football image

Match reports - 23/03/08

Sunday League Report ? 23/03/08

Sunday saw the final of the Sandford Goudie cup take place at Harton Welfare between Nook Utd and Voyager both of whom are having good seasons on the league front. With the horrific overnight weather, the game was in doubt but thankfully it went ahead. Nook started the better and threatened down the left through Steven Dodd, the Voyager defence stood firm against the early Nook pressure and as the half wore on began too take control themselves. Lee O?Donavan and Marc Brocklehurst being prominent for Voyager but the Nook defence were also in no mood to give anything away as the half finished goal less. The second half saw Voyager make a determined effort to play football as they kept the ball on the deck and passed it around nicely. However it was Nook who took the lead midway through the half when Voyager keeper Paul Moran raced to the edge of his box to boot clear, but his clearance went straight to Steven Graham some 35 yards out and he smashed it back into the empty net. Voyager upped their game and were level within 10 minutes with a nice goal from Lee O?Donavan, receiving the ball on the edge of the area he shook off the attention of a Nook defender and swiveled to hammer the ball into the top corner giving Russell Garlinge in the Nook goal no chance. One would have thought that the goal would have given Voyager the momentum to go on and win it but it was Nook who finished the 90 minutes the stronger, however no further goals ensued in normal time and the game went into extra time. Midway through the first half of extra time Nook keeper made a point blank save from Lee O?Donavan turning his effort on to the bar, but it was O?Donavan who was quickest to react as he nipped in to prod home the rebound and put Voyager ahead for the first time in the game. Nook gave it everything in an effort to get back on terms but both sides were starting to tire in the heavy conditions and it was Voyager who added a third when Nook failed to clear a corner and Marc Brocklehurst was on hand to head home. Nick Pain for Nook and Lee Paul Scroggins for Voyager had excellent games but it was Voyager skipper Lee O?Donavan who picked up the Man of the Match trophy.

In the A division Boldon FC drew their third game out of the last four played in an entertaining game against JML Rafters. At the moment Boldon are being made to pay for not making the most of their chances and this game proved to be no different. Boldon started the better but failed to take their chances, they were made to pay when a long ball found Rafters star man Jonny Wightman and he put the chance away wit ease. Boldon kept at it and just before half time Stu Darville brought them level as his effort from outside the box found the bottom corner. The second half was even as both sides continued to make and miss chances until Cameron Fyvie gave Boldon the lead stabbing home Scott Hendry?s cross. Boldon could have increased their lead on a number of occasions but equally JML could have been level had it not been for some excellent saves by Boldon keeper Alan Greenan. In the final seconds JML did draw level when Whiteman?s cross was not cleared and Karl McMann was on hand to tap home the equalizer.

In the same division Ellison blew there slight hopes of promotion losing 3-1 to league leaders Ship. In a poor encounter sloppy defending gifted Ship a two goal lead at the break. Robbie Allan got one back early in the second half and were unlucky not to have leveled when star man Gary Taylor?s header came back off the woodwork Ship made sure of the points when they broke away to score a third late in the game

In the B division The Mariner met The Robin Hood on the back of 5-1 victories for both teams. The Mariner took the lead with a goal from Mick McCaffrey after some sloppy defending. But after a surging run by Micky Urwin who was unceremoniously brought down for a stonewall penalty Stevie Stephenson coolly dispatched his kick sending the goalkeeper the wrong way. On the hour mark the Robin took the lead when Stevie Stephenson got his second after good work by Ian Hudson. Stevie Stephenson went on to celebrate the Easter festivities with a well deserved hat-trick and a man of the match performance. Chris Daley was sent on for the last quarter of an hour and the Robin had to be thankful for his goal line clearance as it proved invaluable to ensure the three points when The Mariners scored with 7 minutes remaining through Gavin Matthews, but Tony Orr and the rest of the Robin Hood defence held out for a worthy 3-2 victory.