Back to news

League News

Match reports 27/01/08

  • 06/02/08
Football image

Match reports 27/01/08

Sunday League Report ? 27/01/08

Whiteleas made it a hat trick of 6-1 wins in the league with Brighams becoming their latest victims in blustery conditions at Harton Welfare.
Leas started slowly, but a trip on Simon Traynor after 10 mins in the box earned them a penalty, which Traynor dispatched with ease to make it 1-0. Brighams though playing with 10 men after an injury to Kevin Lloyd never buckled and held on until the 40th minute when a Nick Smith cross was converted by Stephen Edmond, his 20th goal of the season. Brighams came fighting back and on the stroke of half time were rewarded for their efforts with a goal from Star Man John Taylor.
Whiteleas started the second half brightly and regained a two-goal advantage with a goal from Neil Archbold after a through ball from Adam Carr. The tired legs of the Brighams players didn?t give up until further Leas pressure which saw them comfortably home in the last 10 minutes with goals coming from James Roberts and a double from Lee Adamson.

Pac Builders went down 3-1 to Marsden CW in another game affected by the blustery conditions. Brett Wilson in the Pac goal presented Marsden with an early lead when he allowed a hopeful effort from Craig Kilburn on the half way line to slip through his grasp and into the net. Pac got back into it before the break as Kyle Riley netted from the spot. In the second half Marsden piled on the pressure and keeper Wilson atoned for his earlier mistake with a string of fine saves however he was helpless as two late strikes from Richie Harrison and Graeme Wilkinson gave Marsden the points.

In the Premier cup Lees Cleaning, fresh from their first victory of the season last week, met Voyager and although they played well and in fact controlled the game for long periods, the skill and confidence of a very good Voyager side proved too much as they ran out 5-1 winners. Lee O?Donavan got two for Voyager with Mark Brocklehurst, Paul Jary and David Graham adding singles. Colin Galbraith was on the mark for Lees.

In the B Division the last time the Robin Hood played The Vigilant it was icy conditions that had to be overcome this time it was gale force winds and the outcome was the same, a very credible 4-1 victory for The Robin.
The Robin coped really well with the blustery conditions and there was some quality goals scored, the first an individual solo effort by Ian Hudson who carried the ball from just inside the opponents half and buried it past the keeper. The second came from a follow up by Wayne Henry from Micky Urwin?s free kick. So the Robin were leading 2-0 at halftime playing against the wind.
In the second half Aaron Todd scored his first goal of the day and that probably put the game out of the reach of The Vigilant though they did pull one goal back from Mark Wightman to make it 3-1. The Robin continued to show their superiority though with a great diving header from Aaron Todd ably set up by Stevie Stephenson for the game to finish 4-1 a result that puts the Robin Hood clear at the top of the table.

In the A division Ellison dropped valuable points in there quest for promotion and could only manage a draw against Top Club, Despite windy conditions both teams kept the ball on the floor and played some decent football, Ellison created the better chances but there finishing let them down. Nick Watson took the Top Clubs best chances to give them a two goal lead. Stuart Lane pulled one back just before the break. With the wind at their backs Ellison failed to take the advantage they perhaps should have done until Lane grabbed a second after a great solo run. Mark Pearson and Shaun Green then had efforts hitting the wood work but Top Club held out for a 2-2 draw