Back to news

League News

Match Report 16/09/07

  • 19/09/07
Football image

All match reports passed t othe Gazzette

In the Sandford Goudie cup Robin Hood came out on top in the local derby against the Red Hackle with a 1-0 win scored by Mark McShane from the penalty spot after Aaron Todd was brought down in the box midway through the first half.
Tony Orr the Red Hackle Keeper was in outstanding form, due to his heroics the Hackle were always in with a chance of getting back into the game if they had managed to sneak a goal, but the Robin keeper Andy Tyreman was rarely tested. The two outstanding players for the Robin were the midfield pair Ian Hudson and Chrissy Sinclair who completely bossed the midfield.

The game between Caledonian Athletic and The Vigilant was played in difficult conditions mainly caused due to a strong cross wind. However the Cally after dominating the early period of play opened the scoring through Tony Tatum after an exquisite flick by Chris Scott. The Cally created the majority of the 1st half chances and felt the game should have been sewn up by half time.
With neither side getting to grips with the conditions the 2nd half became a rather scrappy affair with The Cally shading possession but The Vigilant looking more likely to equalise on the break. This nearly happened when Stu Smith headed a deep Vigilant corner towards his own net, only for Nick Stock to do his duty on the post and clear off the line.
With 15 minutes to go The Cally finally put the game to bed when a goalmouth scramble eventually saw David Jeynes weak effort manage to crawl into the corner of the goal. The Vigilant, who had put up a good effort against their higher division opponents seemed to having the stuffing knocked out of them after this and just before the end Chris Scott finished well to add a third after a through ball from David Kelly.

In the same competition A division Boldon FC needed extra time to see off a spirited B division side Cleadon Village. Kicking with the wind Cleadon went ahead after 10 minutes when Neil Errington got the wrong side of the Boldon defence and finished clinically. In the second period Boldon had the major possession but were not really hurting Cleadon until Cam Fyvie was pushed in the box and Shaun Carroll made no mistake from the spot. Cleadon again took the lead when Neil Errington beat the Boldon offside trap to ram home his second. Boldon piled on the pressure in an attempt for the equalizer and it came when Shaun Carroll set up Stu Darville to score from close range. Extra time was end to end and just when it looked like penalties would be required a wind assisted cross come shot from substitute and debutant Lee Dixon curled into the top corner to see Boldon through.