Back to news

League News

Match reports 16/09/07 League & Cup

  • 19/09/07
Football image

All match reports submitted to the Gazzette

In the Premier division Whiteleas continued their excellent start to the season with a 2-0 win over Marsden CW to make it 5 wins in a row. James Roberts opened the scoring when he cut inside and hit a low drive into the bottom corner. Adam Carr then made it two after a good move started by Leas star man Lee Adamson. The second half started slowly but Leas comfortably held their own and almost made it three when a shot from Nick Smith came back off the bar.

Pac Builders overcame Voyager 3-2 in a very competitive game. Pac started the better and took the lead with a Mark Hill drive from the edge of the area. Pac continued to dominate the first half and should have doubled their lead going into the break when Adam Thompson rattled the woodwork from close range. In the second half James Buzzard should have doubled the lead but a brilliant save from Keith Wilkinson thwarted him and the ball broke to Paul Butcher who scored a fine solo goal to bring Voyager level. Pac piled on the pressure and were rewarded with a second when Kyle Riley finished off a good move. The game looked to be over when Mark Hill got his second to put Pac 3-1 up but Voyager would not lie down and they got a second in the dying minutes through Lee O?Neill.

Fad Continentals through away a first half two goal lead to see three times league champions Shack SC fight back to take all three points. Nathan Codling?s double for the Fad wasn?t enough to take the victory and but for an outstanding save from the keeper Shack could have seen themselves 3-0 down at the break. The second half was a different story with the Fad struggling to keep the ball; Shack went into second gear with a Hat trick from Shaun Edward?s and singles from Michael Irving and Gary Evans. Near the end Fad keeper Chris Sehman pulled off a fantastic save to keep the score at 5-2.

In the Sandford Goudie cup Robin Hood came out on top in the local derby against the Red Hackle with a 1-0 win scored by Mark McShane from the penalty spot after Aaron Todd was brought down in the box midway through the first half.
Tony Orr the Red Hackle Keeper was in outstanding form, due to his heroics the Hackle were always in with a chance of getting back into the game if they had managed to sneak a goal, but the Robin keeper Andy Tyreman was rarely tested. The two outstanding players for the Robin were the midfield pair Ian Hudson and Chrissy Sinclair who completely bossed the midfield.

The game between Caledonian Athletic and The Vigilant was played in difficult conditions mainly caused due to a strong cross wind. However the Cally after dominating the early period of play opened the scoring through Tony Tatum after an exquisite flick by Chris Scott. The Cally created the majority of the 1st half chances and felt the game should have been sewn up by half time.
With neither side getting to grips with the conditions the 2nd half became a rather scrappy affair with The Cally shading possession but The Vigilant looking more likely to equalise on the break. This nearly happened when Stu Smith headed a deep Vigilant corner towards his own net, only for Nick Stock to do his duty on the post and clear off the line.
With 15 minutes to go The Cally finally put the game to bed when a goalmouth scramble eventually saw David Jeynes weak effort manage to crawl into the corner of the goal. The Vigilant, who had put up a good effort against their higher division opponents seemed to having the stuffing knocked out of them after this and just before the end Chris Scott finished well to add a third after a through ball from David Kelly.

In the same competition A division Boldon FC needed extra time to see off a spirited B division side Cleadon Village. Kicking with the wind Cleadon went ahead after 10 minutes when Neil Errington got the wrong side of the Boldon defence and finished clinically. In the second period Boldon had the major possession but were not really hurting Cleadon until Cam Fyvie was pushed in the box and Shaun Carroll made no mistake from the spot. Cleadon again took the lead when Neil Errington beat the Boldon offside trap to ram home his second. Boldon piled on the pressure in an attempt for the equalizer and it came when Shaun Carroll set up Stu Darville to score from close range. Extra time was end to end and just when it looked like penalties would be required a wind assisted cross come shot from substitute and debutant Lee Dixon curled into the top corner to see Boldon through.