Back to news

League News

Match Reports 21/10/07

  • 24/10/07
Football image

All match reports sent to the Gazzette

Sunday League Report ? 21/10/07

In the A division Ellison SC got back to winning ways with a 3-0 victory over the Jolly Steward. Ellison were two up at the break with 2 good strikes from Mark Pearson and Craig Snowball. The Jolly pressed hard in the second half and were awarded a penalty but stand in keeper Dave Foster saved the spot kick from Colin Tron. Ellison were then unlucky not to go further ahead when star man Stuart Lane hit the woodwork on 4 separate occasions but a late third goal from Peter Leathead made sure the points went to the Ellison.

The conditions were perfect for flowing football for the match between Caledonian Athletic and Grey Hen Rangers. The Cally especially took full advantage of the conditions with some excellent passing moves in the 1st half and should have scored more than the solitary effort from Dave Kelly, who reacted first to a 25 yard strike from Karl Mason, that the ?keeper could only parry. The second half was a different story however, with Grey Hen pinning The Cally back in their own half for long periods. However some excellent grit and determination from The Cally, backed up by 3 excellent saves from ?keeper Dave Easton, and a little bit of luck when Grey Hen struck the inside of the post kept the final score at 1-0 to The Cally.

Whilst in the B division Robin Hood were playing Kirkpatricks Allstars who were top of the table, it proved an exciting encounter with the Robin coming out on top with a 5-3 win taking them two points clear with a game in hand of Kirkpatricks.
The Robin took a 1-0 lead .The first goal was set up by Aaron Todd with a defence splitting pass to Stevie Stephenson who lobbed the keeper to score. Kirkpatricks pulled one back with a good passing movement finished off by Julio Bell. The second Robin goal came from Ian Hudson who drilled his shot in the bottom corner. Though the Robin were leading it certainly wasn?t a one sided affair and The Robin had to be thankful for some good defensive work and some exceptional goalkeeping from Andy Tyreman.
Kirkpatricks managed to draw level from a strike by Graeme Bruce. Robin Hood went ahead for a third time when Aaron Todd again set up his striking partner for the third goal when he unselfishly squared the ball across for Stevie Stephenson. The Robin made it 4-2 when Rob Thornton who had not long came on set up Stevie Stephenson for his hatrick. But yet again Kirkpatricks scored after Dan Smith headed off the line only for Mark Pearse to volley the ball into the roof of the net, the third Kirkpatricks goal seemed to spark the Robin into action who went on to dominate the last period of the game with Chrissy Sinclair in particularly good form in midfield, And then a well deserved goal for Aaron Todd who cleverly rounded the keeper for the second consecutive week and pushed it home with a smart finish to seal a 5-3 win and a top place finish in the league

In a round up of the Premier division, Whiteleas got back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Elmfield, goals from David Myers and Simon Traynor saw them retain top spot.

Hot on their heels are Boldon Shack who were too strong for a luckless Fad Contnentals. Two goals apiece for Wayne Phillips and Jonathan Mullen plus singles from Shawn Edwards, Mick Robinson and Andy Bonar gave them a 7-0 victory.

In probably the best game of the day Jarrow Deneside and Voyager played out a 2-2 draw. Peter Kane starred for the Jarrow lads and Jamie Ellrington got their two goals. A double strike from Lee Paul Scroggins ensured Voyager took a share of the points.