Back to news

League News

Week 1 Round Up

  • 08/08/19
  • By Dan Whelan
Football image

We are green for go!

The 2019/20 Cheshire Football League campaign kicked off this week for teams in the Premier Division and League One.
The pick of the games in the top flight was the encounter between FC St Helens and last season’s runners up, Altrincham reserves on Tuesday evening.
St Helens stormed into a 3-0 lead at Windleshaw, goals from player-manager Jack Graham and Jack Ball and Andy Gillespie putting them in a commanding position.
But there lead was soon cut to two when Altrincham were awarded a penalty which was converted by Dontai Gabbidon despite a strong palm from goalkeeper Cam Duffy.
Alty reduced the deficit to one through Jack Ryan before equalizing courtesy of James O’Hara as time ran down.
Buoyed by their comeback the visitors almost snatched all the points at the death but Duffy came to the rescue with a brilliant save to earn salvage a point for his side.
Poynton started the season with a 4-1 away victory at Egerton FC to claim top spot despite falling a goal behind at Mereheath Lane.
Jonny Cavanagh restored parity before Greg Mathers put Poynton ahead just before the hour mark.
Goals in the 80th and 90th minutes from Sam Dickov and Marcus Graham put the gloss on the victory for last season’s fifth placed finishers.
Elsewhere Whaley Bridge will have to wait to get their season underway after their game against Broadheath Central was postponed. Heavy rain saw the Toddbrook reservoir, which is located directly behind Whaley’s Horwich Park ground, reach dangerously high levels amid fears that the adjoining dam would burst and flood the town.
The much publicized evacuation of Whaley Bridge provoked both the Prime Minister and the leader of the opposition to venture up North, but residents have now returned to their homes and are eagerly anticipating a return to normality and the start of Whaley’s season under new manager Jamie Kay.
A six goal thriller between Blacon Youth Club and Lostock Gralam ended with the hosts running out 4-2 winners while Crewe and Greenalls both kicked off their seasons with away victories against Middlewich and Daten respectively.
Eagle Sports played host to Billinge and the two sides cancelled each other out in a 0-0 draw while Congleton edged out Knustsford by the odd goal in three on Wednesday evening.
The six games in League One on Tuesday night produced a mouth-watering 32 goals in an explosive start to the 19/20 season.
Half of that haul came in two 5-3 away successes for Styal FC and Windle Labour FC.
Ryan Cook was in inspired form as his hat-trick helped put Windle 5-0 up against Moore United whose spirited second half comeback will give them cause to be optimistic going into this weekend’s round of fixtures.
After the disappointment of relegation last season Malpas and Denton ran out comfortable winners at home as they launched their bids for an immediate return to the top flight; the former smashing five past Cuddington FC whilst Denton were the only League One side to keep a clean sheet on the opening day in their 2-0 win over Maine Road reserves.
Ford Motors didn’t stall as they got their season off to a winning start against Winstanley Warriors who were dispatched 3-1 while the reserves of Cheadle Heath Nomads and Ashton Athletic shared four goals and the points.

Dan Whelan
Press Officer