Back to news

League News

Division 1 Report

  • 24/03/14
  • By Kat Davey
Football image

21 March 2014

The title race got a bit more interesting this weekend as both of the top sides lost their league games leaving the race for top spot wide open.

Aaron Morris, Nathan Ogden and Chad Whyte all hit home for an impressive Billinge side as they finished 3-1 winners away at Crewe, while a goal in each half for Rob Hanley helped Greenalls PSO to a 2-1 win over Garswood United.

Barnton's game at Gamesley was abandoned mid way through the second half due to bad weather conditions, leaving the Northwich side six points off top spot with two games in hand over current leaders Garswood.

Rylands returned to winning form with a 2-1 win over Derbyshire side Whaley Bridge. The first half began in surprisingly open fashion with both teams pushing forward at every opportunity in difficult windy conditions.

Rylands had the first opportunity after ten minutes when Jonathon Priest played Kris Bell through on goal but his effort was smothered by the advancing Whaley keeper. At the other end, Andy Moor turned a close range effort from Hughes wide and then the same player missed a glorious opportunity by firing wide when well placed inside the penalty area. Rylands responded with Bell again being foiled and then Lee Deakin fired wide from distance.

After 26 minutes the deadlock was broken when Bell's played exchanged passes with Chris Brown before firing past the keeper from twelve yards.

Shortly after half time, it was 2-0 as Liam Hayes converted Bell's cross on the hour. However, the visitors were back in the game five minutes later when Moor’s misplaced clearance allowed Collins to break through on goal and although the Rylands keeper saved well from the initial shot, Hughes followed up to convert from close range.

Whaley pressed hard for an equaliser but despite enjoying good possession, they were unable to really test Moor any further and Rylands held firm for a welcome three points.

A Reece Davies hat trick set Linotype CHN well on their way to victory and coupled with a goal from Nehru McKenzie it gave them a 4-0 half time at Middlewich Town. Louis Bentley pulled one back for the home side in the second half but the points went to Linotype.

Knutsford finished 3-2 winners over Pilkington while Rudheath Social and Eagle Sports shared a seven goal thriller with Eagle finished narrow 4-3 winners.