Back to news

League News

Whaley eye a fifth consecutive JB Parker

  • 24/09/19
  • By Dan Whelan
Football image

Whaley Bridge’s quest for a fifth consecutive JB Parker Cup title got off to the best possible start with a 3-0 win over Daten this weekend.

It was Whaley's first home outing of the season after the much-publicised Toddbrook Reservoir saga rendered their pitch unusable for the whole of August and much of September.
The rain that brought about that near catastrophe was nowhere in sight on Saturday as the sun beat down on both sides at Horwich Park.
The first half was a forgettable affair for the most part with neither side managing to take control of the game as they toiled away fruitlessly in the heat.
It was Daten who went closest to opening the scoring and their striker perhaps should have done better with a close range header which was tipped over the bar, quite brilliantly, at point blank range by the host's young goalkeeper Joel Fletcher.
The second half got underway after a slight delay brought about by the trio of tardy officials. Both Daten and Whaley were back out onto the pitch a good five minutes before the officials and when the referee and his two linesmen finally made their way back onto the pitch they were greeted with ironic cheers from those in attendence.
It was Daten once again who looked the most likely to open the scoring but they continued to find Fletcher in inspired form; first he blocked a one on one with a strong left hand before claiming the ball bravely at the feet of a striker to thwart another attack.
Just as murmurs began in the respective dugouts as to the possibility of a penalty shootout the deadlock was broken in fine fashion by Whaley Bridge stalwart Bill Sutton.
The skipper lined up a free-kick 25 yards from goal and struck it cleanly leaving the goalkeeper rooted to the spot as the ball nestled handsomely in the top left corner.
Whaley doubled their lead not long afterwards when David Dunn was rewarded for his relentless running as he watched his goal bound effort deflected in off a defender.
Whaley made it three in the closing stages after some good work from substitute Ben Bagshaw sent Dan Gilbride clean through. Gilbride made no mistake sliding the ball coolly home to send his side into the second round of a cup they won't give up without a fight.
Elsewhere in the JB Parker Cup first round Crewe hit five past Broadheath Central but, in a surprising twist, Nathan Southern, who has 12 goals already this season, was not on the scoresheet.
Michael Blundell took home the match ball whilst Matty Birchall and Caine Mellor also scored.
Crewe will play Blacon Youth, who beat Altrincham FC Reserves 2-1, in the quarter finals.
FC St Helens set up a repeat of last year's final after they beat Knutsford for the second time in seven days to continue their fantastic form.
They will face Whaley Bridge at home in the quarter finals after goals from Andy Gillespie (2), Jack Ball and Jack Graham sent them through.
Lostock and Eagle shared seven goals in their JB Parker first round tie but it was the grey lambs who went through winning 4-3 thanks to a brace from Liam Collins and further goals from Robbie Jones and Myles Wady.
Eagle ran them close but a double from Dan Hutchins and one from Adam Coleman were not enough.
Lostock face league leaders Congleton at home in the next round at the beginning of November.
Middlewich got their first victory of the season after a winless run which stretched back to the start of May.
They earned their place in the second round of the JB Parker Cup with a 3-1 victory against Greenalls Padgate.
Callum Priestley opened the scoring after ten minutes and two goals from Dean Burgess, one either side of half time, wrapped up the victory and set up a quarter final tie against Egerton.
Egerton beat Billinge on penalties to progress; goals from Ross Farran and Jack Gurney-Smith saw the game end 2-2 before the visitors edged out the Storks 4-5 on penalties.
In the day's other JB Parker first round tie Congleton took their impressive league form into the cup when they travelled to Poynton and ran out 2-0 winners courtesy of goals from Oliver Griffiths and Josh Thornton.
While the cup took centre stage for the Premier Division teams there were league matters to attend to in League One where Winstanley Warriors remain top of the table after a 2-1 win over Orford.
Daryl Patten and Andrew Penny with the goals for the Warriors.
Styal suffered their second defeat of the season going down 2-1 to Maine Road reserves on Saturday; goals from Zach Curtis and Layton Smith enough to wrap up the victory for the home side.
Styal are now three points off the leaders having played a game more.
Denton welcomed Windle Labour Club to Whittles Park this weekend in a game which the visitors won 3-2. With the score at 2-2 Gary Bennett came off the bench to snatch the win for Windle.
Goals from Liam Turner and Kieran Dale (Denton) and Keith Brown and Ben Nicholson (Windle).
Cheadle Town Reserves ran out comfortable 3-0 winners over Ashton Athletic Reserves while Moore United and Cheadle Heath Nomads Reserves shared six goals and the points in their meeting; Ryan Barnes earning the home side a point after Cheadle took a 3-2 lead into the second half.
There were four League One sides in cup action this weekend, too. Malpas and Cuddington were both successful in their JA Walton cup matches winning 3-0 and 4-3 over Golborne and Partington Village.
In League Two there was only one league fixture on Saturday but it was an exciting one as Mersey Valley drew 4-4 with Sandbach United reserves.
League leaders Parklands were in cup action and ran out 3-0 winners over the paradoxically named Winnington Avenue thanks to a goals from Corrigan, King and Larkin.
St Helens Town reserves (3-5 at St Margaret's Old Boys) and Knowsley South (1-4 at Burscough Dynamo) both had good afternoon's on their travels but it was a less enjoyable afternoon for four other Cheshire League Two sides.
Pilkington lost 4-2 at Rainford North End, Rylands were on the wrong end of a 5-3 score line when they visited Old Cathinians and Golborne and Partington, as was mentioned previously, both lost out to League One opposition.
In Reserve Division One Garswood United Reserves are top of the league after a 3-0 victory over Middlewich Town while Daten Reserves sit bottom after they lost at home to FC St Helens Reserves.
In Reserve Division Two Parklands are one point clear at the top of the table after they travelled to Greenalls Padgate and won 4-2. Crewe are second, they smashed six past Daten Development while Golborne, who were on cup duty this weekend, shipped five goals at home to St Pauls as their rotten start to the season continues.