Back to news

League News

Press Report 18-02-2017

  • 20/02/17
  • By James Gill
Football image

Title race will go down to 'the wire' as Warrington win once more!

Premier Division

Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads put in the performance of the day, beating Altrincham Reserves by four goals. A Dean McGregor brace, plus goals from Askley Harrison and Joe Campbell, gave Nomads the victory. The result moves Nomads ahead of the Robins and into 4th.
League leaders, Whaley Bridge, defeated an in-form Eagle Sports side this weekend. Bridge won by three goals to nil at Horwich Park. The Derbyshire locals increased their lead at the top of the table to eight points following this victory. Goals from Tom Scorer, Rob Newton and Joe Armstrong gave Whaley the win.

Knutsford couldn’t mirror Whaley as they drew 1-1 with Styal. The Wilmslow natives did well to take away a point from the title challengers, especially considering they were joint bottom at the start of play. A MOTM display from goalkeeper, Alex Macintosh, proved vital to their performance.
Poynton beat bottom side, Garswood United at home to edge closer to the top five. The Reds won 1-0 thanks to an Andrew Hurst goal. They now sit in sixth, fifteen points off top spot, with seven games in hand.

An impressive Steven Hughes hat-trick gave Rudheath Social a 1-3 victory away at Rylands. With on goal in the first half and two in the second, Hughes’ goals gave Social all three points at Gorsey Lane and keeps them clear of Styal and Garswood for another week at least.

Denton Town drop down the table, being displaced by Poynton, as they drew 0-0 with strugglers Greenalls Padgate St Oswalds. It was a quiet affair in Tameside as Greenalls will be more pleased with the result than their opponents.
Wythenshawe Town were held by a late goal at home to Malpas this weekend. A Douglas Carroll goal gave the home side the lead at Ericstan Park, but a late equaliser from Alex Hughes stopped the title challengers from moving ahead of Knutsford into second. Both Wythenshawe and Knutsford sit eight points off the leaders in third and second respectively.

League One

Warrington Town Reserves remain top of the division following their 1-0 win away at Egerton. A solitary goal in the first half was enough for the Wire to take all three points back east to Warrington. They become the first Cheshire League side to pass 50 points this season.

Billinge remain in close second with a victory over Daten at home. They won 2-0 at Carr Mill Road through goals from Christopher Cottington and Ste Wolhuter. Billinge now sit just four points behind league leaders, Warrington.

Middlewich Town impressed as they beat Grappenhall Sports by four goals to nil away from home. The Witches, whose goals came via Sam Wakefield, Jamie Petrie, Chris Yearsley and Ed Marsh, move into tenth and leapfrogging Daten in the process.

Lostock Gralam move up to sixth with a 4-1 victory over Golborne Sports at the Park Stadium. The Grey Lambs move ahead of FC St Helens as a result of this victory. St Helens drew at home to West Didsbury and Chorlton Reserves. The result moves both sides down the table, level on points with each other whilst slowly watching other sides move further away ahead of them.

Halebank lost 0-2 at home to AFC Macclesfield. A brace from CFL interleague squad member, Jack Banister, gave the Stockport side the victory meaning they are keeping pace with the top three and could push a late title challenge with their games in hand.

Reserves League One

Garswood United stay in fourth with their 4-0 victory over Denton Town. It was a good, solid performance from Garswood as they gradually move closer to top spot.

Greenalls Padgate St Oswalds drew 0-0 with Knutsford in a top of the table clash. It was third against fifth and both sides will be relatively pleased with taking points from the game. Knutsford still have a number of games in hand over the other title challengers.

Reserves League Two

Moore United beat Malpas in a six-goal thriller in Reserve League Two. The home side won 4-2 against the bottom side. The result moves Moore ahead of Pilkington and up to sixth.

In a clash at the top of the table, Middlewich and AFC Macclesfield played out a goalless draw to keep the pressure on the top two. Macc are just two points behind league leaders, FC St Helens.

President’s Cup

There was plenty of President’s Cup action this weekend.

Pilkington beat Wythenshawe Development Squad in a dominant display, winning 10-2 at home, although no goal scorers have been submitted on Full-Time FA.

Pilkington’s Reserves also won. They beat Daten Reserves 1-3 at Culceth Sports Club in Warrington.
Ford Motors beat Barnton Reserves 4-2. Goals from George Webster and Jack White weren’t enough for Barnton to take away the victory.
Mersey Valley thrashed Billinge Reserves by six goals to one. The Trafford locals were impressive and won through a Kyle Denton brace and goals from Markell Bennett, Rory McDonald, Kaine Parchment and Kyle Watson.

Moore United drew 1-1 with Unicorn Athletic in a closely contested affair in which neither side could break away and find that illusive final goal to win the match.

Tarporley Vics and Cuddington played out an impressive 3-3 draw at the ‘Flacca’. Cuddington’s goals came via a brace from captain Nathan Harwood and a single goal from Richard Bettley. We haven’t been sent Vics’ goalscorers.

JA Walton Challenge Cup

Cheadle Town Reserves become the first team to reach the JA Walton Challenge Cup final this season. They beat Broadheath Central to progress to the final. Details of all CFL finals will be confirmed in a future website article.

External Competitions

Congleton Vale made it through to the next round of the Crewe and District FA Cup following their 5-0 win away at Sandbach Town. In the same competition, Crewe FC got into the next round without playing as Sandbach United Reserves were unable to field a team in their game.

Three games featuring Cheshire League sides took place in the Northern Cup. Orford won 2-0 away at The Ivy FC, Leigh Foundry beat FC St Helens Reserves 3-0 and Winstanley Warriors beat Poynton Reserves 3-2.